London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
5 messages
28/05/2012 at 18:22

Hi i hope i have done this right for the gunnera manicate.

I have dug a hole twice the size of the pot it is in, the clay at the bottom of the hole i have broken up a little then put a layer of manure in the hole followed by some top soil mixed with more manure.

Then i filled the hole with water.

Next maybe tomorrow i plan on puting compost and the plant in the hole with the top of the plant pot soil being level with the new hole and bedding in and more manure on top plus tons of water.

Would this be okay?

Thanks

Would this be okay

28/05/2012 at 19:22
This sounds very well thought out and I can't think of anything else that you should or could do. Hopefully you'll put this Amazonian giant in its new home and stand back...
28/05/2012 at 19:30
figrat wrote (see)
This sounds very well thought out and I can't think of anything else that you should or could do. Hopefully you'll put this Amazonian giant in its new home and stand back...

Oh yes it is my baby and one of the first plants i would of planted apart from some bulbs at weekend.

Gardening was my Ex's domane but i have just got into it and learning even the digging is fun for now!!!

28/05/2012 at 19:31

Pash2, are you planting beside a pond or water, they do need a lot of it, some I have seen have been part of a water feature.
Manicata is the most common and easiest to grow, they do need deep moist soil with shelter from winds and some shade at the root. The leaves are prone to frost burn so need protection in winter.
You seem to be doing everything right, just keep the soil moist while the plant gets settled in and then watch it grow to 6 or 10 feet.
Frank.

29/05/2012 at 14:56

Thanks everyone

email image
5 messages