Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

How to pollinate a Bramley apple tree...

I'd like to grow both dessert and culnary apple tree's and as bramley is a reliable cropper have decided on this as the cooking variety to grow but it needs at least two other tree's to pollinate it according to info I've found on line. 

I know nothing about apples tree's and polination but have grasped, in order for some apple tree's to be pollinated they need other apple tree's growing close by and group 4 are recommended for bramley.

The same store has Gala, Cox Orange Pippin and Braeburn all group 4 tree's.

The Q is although it may sound silly - if I purchase two of these and plant the bramley in the middle would it be pollinated by bee's from pollen from these tree's?

... and being in the same group the two other tree's will be pollinated at the same time?    

Q- if I wanted to grow apple tree's from other groups would I always need two tree's of the same group?

The tree's are £10 each and alot to pay if they bear no fruit...

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Thanks pansyface. The store are saving a bramley and gala for me till tomorrow and hopefully the Braeburn won't have been sold. I could do a reca of other stores in the morning before collecting but think it unlikely any will have a James Grieves at such a good price, it's noted to do well in the north though.

I've got Pomana fruits autumn catalogue to look through, it's been like a bible trying to decide what to get, James Greives is in there.

I'm also purchasing a Victoria Plum and was going to plant the tree's in a row across the plot.

Planting a plum tree along side apple tree's won't make any difference will it or should it be planted in a different part of the plot? 

• It won't make any difference at all putting the plum alongside the apples, they are a different genus --- apples are malus and plums are prunus.

good luck and happy planting.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    If you are choosing Victoria, Cox and Bramley you are choosing three challenging varieties. Cox especially needs coddling and spraying unless grown in ideal conditions.

Cambridge Gage might be easier than Victoria. James Grieve is a good apple, but it tends to biennial cropping.
  • Has anyone got a picture of a Coxs fruit as I'm not sure if that is what is growing in my garden.

Here's what I have

I did a reca this morning of local stores/GC's.

Went with Victoria plum, I've a mature tree on another plot which produced a mega crop this year.

Purchased Cox and Braeburn, along with bramley and all three planted out this afternoon...

Whilst on the reca for fruit tree's purchased a Jostaberry bushimage Never heard of one before...cross between gooseberry and blackcurrant...

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Missed the boat on this one, but Sunset is a good Cox-like apple which is less troublesome to grow.  Ours produces a lovely crop - now in year 5.

we were also advised to remove all the fruit in the year after planting our new fruit trees, and only allow a few the next year, to give them a chance to establish strong roots.  Seems to have paid dividends hereimageimage.

I was so annoyed today.

Went to Asda and they are selling fruit tree's for £5 and they had a James Grieves. I called in yesterday morning to be told they were not selling fruit tree's, in fact the guy I spoke to looked at me like I was speaking 'Maderin Chinese' when asking him about fruit tree's image...I made a complaint...image

The lady at Customer Services suggested I took the other tree's back and buy from Asda but I'd already planted them out. I did buy two pear tree's though, they were calling out to be boughtimage.

Sounds like good advise Chicky, hope I have the will power to do the sameimage.