London (change)
Today 19°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
7 messages
09/02/2013 at 16:04

could someone explain to me, if I need to apply nematodes more than once, to make them keep the slugs down.You seem to be able to purchase them at 6 week intervals.Has anyone applied them just the once and had success.

09/02/2013 at 17:28

I have used nematodes for slugs, I would apply more than once to try and get rid of as many as I could. You must remember to get the right amount for the size garden you have. They last for 6 weeks in the ground then they need topping up to keep removing the slugs. When I started to use them, I did see results pretty quick. You just need to wait till the soil warms up a little then use them and make sure the weather is not going to rain constantly for days or months as too much rain makes them not work as well. Definitely use them - they work well even if they cost quite a bit of money.

Lyn
09/02/2013 at 19:22
I use them, very effective but don't use until the end of march, when it's warmer, they don't keep for long as they are a living organism, you then have to keep them in the fridge until you are ready, then mix with water, the packet tells you what to do, after applying you have to run a hose pipe over the ground because some will be on the leaves, they must be in the ground, if the
weather is dry, they need watering, they thrive in damp soil.
They will only last for 6 weeks though.
Last year amazon was the cheapest place to buy, I haven't looked this year.
09/02/2013 at 19:55

I used them last year just the once, in very early spring once ground was warmer than 10C I think...used vine weevil and slug nematodes, at the same time and they both worked within weeks.

Great results and no pests since.

My garden's quite damp though, so it was easy to keep it moist!

10/02/2013 at 12:33

I used vine weevil nematodes last year for the first time in this garden - the difference in the amount of leaf nibbling was noticeable within a few weeks and I will use again this year as soon as the soil warms up. 

12/02/2013 at 15:09

I have used nematodes for slugs over the last couple of years and tend to give two applications over the spring/summer when the temperatures get warm enough.  Have just ordered mine for this year and have increased the amount as I am definately going to use them on the allotment too - have found them effective!

Lyn
13/02/2013 at 16:00

I hope they dont send them yet Sford, they only have a 2 week shelf life and it will still be too cold to apply at the end of Feb. You wont be able to use until last two weeks in March, if then. The soil is not warming up at all yet, well mine isnt anyway.

email image
7 messages