Start a new thread

1 to 9 of 9 replies

jennifertrees1

came back from holiday to find the fir tree in the bottom of the garden is dying quickly. It's a huge tree (50 ft) and I want to help it. What can I do? 

plant pauper

That seems odd. Was there any dispute with neighbours or anything? Trees that size take a long time to die...had it been showing any signs of browning recently? Could someone have "wanted it gone?"

If it's really dying I'm afraid there's only one thing for it. It'll have to go.

Fairygirl

Unless you've been on a very long holiday, it's a very short time  for a tree to go downhill so quickly. If someone's had a go at it - they'd have need a lot of whatever they used for it to happen that suddenly.

Are you sure you just haven't noticed it deteriorating? They can suffer from phytophthora, but you would have seen signs of rotting before now.

Whatever the reason - it's done anyway - as ppauper says. 

nutcutlet

trouble with conifers is, they're a long way down the dying route before there's anything to see. then it's suddenly obvious and too late.

plant pauper

I've lost a couple over the last few years for no apparent reason. They just up and snuff it.

Advertisement

jennifertrees1

It's so sad! Such a huge part of our lives! (Now I sound ridiculous) it's the only really big one we have -thanks for your replies. 

No neighbour issues, it's at the end of three gardens which are all large so it's not intruding and its must drink a lot of water which is great for stopping a boggy garden I'm sure! 

maybe i just hadnt noticed its demise. So sad as I've seen owls in this tree in the past. 

Thanks for your help, guess we've a lot of chopping ahead of us! 

Dovefromabove

We had a winter of low rainfall and a dry spring and early summer ... if it was nearing its end that will have hastened it.  Sad. but every loss is a new planting opportunity ... spend some time and enjoy choosing the next 'owl perch' 

Last edited: 22 August 2017 10:25:15

Fairygirl

Not ridiculous at all Jennifer - a big tree is a also a big gap when it's removed. 

You're right of course, nut - they can look pretty normal when they're on their way out, and suddenly ...

We have noticed several conifers in nearby gardens that were part of our "view" and over the last 2-3 years they seem to be going one by one. Maybe its Honey fungus maybe some other disease not sure. Also remember not all trees live to a great age like oaks, some trees only have a lifespan of 30-50 years! It may have just reached the end of it's time.