Start a new thread

1 to 13 of 13 replies

Hi

We have just moved into a house with a  large garden. We can't identify one of the trees. (pictured) 

It looks out of control. Can any one tell us what it is and whether it's just about to bloom into part of the garden of Eden or just be a pest. 

Thanks. 

Dovefromabove

Hi - if the pic is refusing to upload, try reducing its size 

BobTheGardener

I'm wondering if it's a huuugggeee clematis montana which has completely swamped some other tree?

Advertisement

nutcutlet

Russian Vine. White flowers as some point. An unattractive thug. My opinion, some like it

Dovefromabove

Goodness me   yes that does need sorting out ... it looks more as if there's years and years of some sort of creeper which has climbed over a tree .......... which may or may not be alive beneath it.

My first concern is that at this time of year a tangled mass like that is likely to contain active birds' nests and of course you must not disturb them.

I think I would watch and wait ... as the spring and summer arrive you and we will have more clues through leaves and possible flowers to work out what you've got there - I think there may be several plants in all of that.  

Then in the late summer and autumn we'll have a better idea of your options. 

nutcutlet

The few leaves don't look like a clem to be Bob, but there's not much to go on except a jungle

Dovefromabove

I've seen a Russian vine virtually swallow an old farmhouse and the apple tree which grew in the garden - over not many years they disappeared from site - not for nothing is it called Mile a Minute Vine. 

It's in South Wales and faces south. It's full of birds so will have to stay come what may. The overall shape isn't completely unattractive...... 

Dovefromabove

I'm sure you  can thin it out a bit and impose a little control next autumn, just so that it doesn't take over your garden completely.

Watching the birds in there will be wonderful 

Cloggie

The first plant i ever chose was a Polygonum Baldschuanicum.  The intention was to quickly cover the fence in my tiny garden so that all the overlooking windows couldn't see my West facing patio.  It did that within 3/6 months.  The next year it looked fab when in flower.  The following year my fence came down in the wind but the plant stayed in place, I was really pleased with it but I was young and naive and soon moved house.

I read later that it had changed name to Fallopia Baldschuanica.  Fallopia is the family name of Japanese Knotweed.

I can't see the leaves closely but I don't think they are the arrow shape that I remember, the leaves of Russian Vine or Mile a Minute are very arrow shaped and shiny.  It also twirls its tendrils very quickly and tightly so I think it would be more "knotted" or "knitted" than we see in the photos if it was my friend from long ago.

We'll soon find out though so keep us informed Wilbo1Para.