Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hydrangea cuttings with no roots but a good pair of leaves

Hi Aym, looks very healthy, why not leave for a while as it looks happy, my knowledge on cuttings is nil, so hopefully some others will help.

ps. Hope you are well, sorry i have not posted for several weeks, have had a very busy spell and it seemed to take all my spare time....and when i could have posted, i was too tired....just a few more days of finishing off and my year long project should be ready to rock and roll....just in time for spring and gardening and g&t's in the she-shed....i've missed being on here and missed my she-shed, too cold at mo ;) 

• IamweedyIamweedy Posts: 1,364

I would leave them for a while longer on the basis it's best not to disturb them if they are about to develop roots.  That would be my instinct. "Let dormant hydrangeas lie"

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Don't pot on until you can see little white roots through the holes at the base of the pot. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Best to give it another dab of rooting powder ( or use custard powder ) then repot.  It is obviously still alive. This happens quite a lot with hardwood clematis cuttings. Top growth looks to be romping away but new roots take much longer, best not to disturb them if possible.

• LoanaLoana Posts: 427

Sounds like you should leave your hydrangeas a bit longer ;) no, no insulation boards in she-shed, it is thick though and a little oil radiator plugged in to keep it dry, it was actually warm enough to sit in today with the sun on it, but too busy clearing up leaves to sit ;)