London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
6 messages
23/08/2013 at 14:32

I have 2 hydrangeas in pots and neither of them is flowering.  I would really appreciate it if anyone can give me some info on this.  Thank you.

23/08/2013 at 15:05

I'm new to this Marina but I do know that Hydrangeas respond better if they're slightly shaded from the wind and slightly sheltered from the worst of the sun (or I've found this to be true). The one Hydrangea I have that is the most exposed to the elements is the one with the least amount of flowers and has got a little rangy, the others are do far, far better. One in the front garden isn't flowering but that's only because it needed a serious amount of cutting back as it had got completely out of control where the previous tenants hadn't looked after it and then I had to hack it back again, sadly too late for it to flower this year but it should be just fine for next year. I wonder if yours are possibly a little too exposed? 

23/08/2013 at 15:06

Sorry for the typos here Marina I've just had my computer overhauled and I swear its developed a life force all of its own! 

23/08/2013 at 16:21
Marina Spooner2 wrote (see)

I have 2 hydrangeas in pots and neither of them is flowering.  I would really appreciate it if anyone can give me some info on this.  Thank you.

Have you pruned them? If you cut the old flower heads/stalks off earlier this yr, you may have also removed the wood that was due to flower this yr? A 'quick tidy up' & the damage is done.

Also how long have they been in their pots? They could be 'starved' in old compost/too small a pot.J.

24/08/2013 at 15:34

I have several hydrangeas in my garden & I notice that if I trim them right back to a decent bud in the spring, they do really well.  They also seem to like plenty of rain early in the year. 

24/08/2013 at 15:47

It depends on your hydrangea.  The mopheads and lace caps flower on last year's new  wood so mine never flowered as they were always frozen solid and just produced new stems and foliage each year.

Now I grow the paniculata types which flower later on new season's wood and I get a great display.

Remember also that hydrangeas like a lot of water and don't perform well if kept dry..

email image
6 messages