Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

I have MOLES !!

I have moles digging up my flower beds pushing up plants and damaging roots making stuff wilt. I have got a sonic nose maker, I have tried the mole repellent with caster oil, I have a dog who digs them up and has caught 3 this summer and yet every day I go down and there is more mole damage !

Nothing seems to get rid of them and the dog does not scare them either, from what I read they are supposed to be solitary animals yet none of the information about moles I have found seems to be true and certianly there seems to be nothing that will rid my garden of them image

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Join the club!

I have them and they are clever little !"£!£" they push soil through the traps so the trap goes off without catching them.

If anything will make me move away from this garden it will be the moles.

PS. I have tried EVERY folk remedy and every device known to man without success.  Last resort I will try is to connect a pipe to the engine on my leaf blower and feed it into a run and see if the carbon monoxide gets them!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

they'll probably come up somewhere else and sit laughing at your efforts Berghill

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 435

They are very clever.  My garden floods to a depth of about a foot each winter, but 2 days after the water goes the molehills start to appear again.  So you can't even drown them.

Does not help that we are surrounded by fields with hundreds of mole hills and there are even more along the Lane's verges.

• NetherfieldNetherfield Posts: 120

Moles are solitary creatures, unfortunately if you get rid of one another can and will take over the existing tunnels.

Like Berghill we have fields behind the back garden,they don't bother the neighbours at either side though, we must have better worms.

• greentoothgreentooth Posts: 30

So I guess there is no hope of getting rid of them then,  I will just have to learn to live with pushed up soil and plants....my poor lupins have all been dispalced its really upsetting me image

• GarrySGarryS Posts: 13

We have moles both on the allotment and at home , I just let them get on with it .However at home I have stopped using weed and feed on the lawn several years ago  and no long have a problem , as there are more worms they stay down below , no idea if this is the answer

If you want to stop them you need a barrier such as concrete slabs set in the ground , this does work but a bit drastic

• greentoothgreentooth Posts: 30

Won't they tunnel deeper and go under the slabs ? I have heard of some American people who dig really deep ditch and pour concreate all round the perimeter of the garden ! I think I will just have to leave them to get on with it and hope the dog catches them to keep the numbers down.

• Try putting a three inch rose or blackberry twig with thorns in the tunnel, it worked in the church yard.

That just sends them digging elsewhere in the garden. I know I have miles of tunnels with prickly things in them. They just dig another one a couple of inches away from the blocked one.

Would be nice to be able to put a barrier between us and the outside, but I think the ciost would be a bit prohibitive, the perimeter is about 400 metres..

At least most folks do not have the trouble we have. The soil where the moles are doing most damage is only about 6 inches deep and below that is brick rubble. The main runs are below that layer and it is almost impossible to get down to them through the rubble.