London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
17 messages
28/06/2013 at 12:57

I have moles digging up my flower beds pushing up plants and damaging roots making stuff wilt. I have got a sonic nose maker, I have tried the mole repellent with caster oil, I have a dog who digs them up and has caught 3 this summer and yet every day I go down and there is more mole damage !

Nothing seems to get rid of them and the dog does not scare them either, from what I read they are supposed to be solitary animals yet none of the information about moles I have found seems to be true and certianly there seems to be nothing that will rid my garden of them 

28/06/2013 at 14:15

Join the club!

I have them and they are clever little !"£!£" they push soil through the traps so the trap goes off without catching them.

If anything will make me move away from this garden it will be the moles.

PS. I have tried EVERY folk remedy and every device known to man without success.  Last resort I will try is to connect a pipe to the engine on my leaf blower and feed it into a run and see if the carbon monoxide gets them!

28/06/2013 at 14:19

they'll probably come up somewhere else and sit laughing at your efforts Berghill

28/06/2013 at 14:39

They are very clever.  My garden floods to a depth of about a foot each winter, but 2 days after the water goes the molehills start to appear again.  So you can't even drown them.

28/06/2013 at 17:37

Does not help that we are surrounded by fields with hundreds of mole hills and there are even more along the Lane's verges.

28/06/2013 at 17:45

Moles are solitary creatures, unfortunately if you get rid of one another can and will take over the existing tunnels.

Like Berghill we have fields behind the back garden,they don't bother the neighbours at either side though, we must have better worms.

28/06/2013 at 22:25

So I guess there is no hope of getting rid of them then,  I will just have to learn to live with pushed up soil and plants....my poor lupins have all been dispalced its really upsetting me 

28/06/2013 at 22:25

We have moles both on the allotment and at home , I just let them get on with it .However at home I have stopped using weed and feed on the lawn several years ago  and no long have a problem , as there are more worms they stay down below , no idea if this is the answer

If you want to stop them you need a barrier such as concrete slabs set in the ground , this does work but a bit drastic

28/06/2013 at 22:31

Won't they tunnel deeper and go under the slabs ? I have heard of some American people who dig really deep ditch and pour concreate all round the perimeter of the garden ! I think I will just have to leave them to get on with it and hope the dog catches them to keep the numbers down.

29/06/2013 at 04:41

Try putting a three inch rose or blackberry twig with thorns in the tunnel, it worked in the church yard.

29/06/2013 at 10:33

That just sends them digging elsewhere in the garden. I know I have miles of tunnels with prickly things in them. They just dig another one a couple of inches away from the blocked one.

Would be nice to be able to put a barrier between us and the outside, but I think the ciost would be a bit prohibitive, the perimeter is about 400 metres..

At least most folks do not have the trouble we have. The soil where the moles are doing most damage is only about 6 inches deep and below that is brick rubble. The main runs are below that layer and it is almost impossible to get down to them through the rubble.

29/06/2013 at 11:31

I tried the old trick of putting extra hot chilli powder into the tunnels under each molehill.  It doesn't take long and it DID make them disappear, but only temporarily.  They're back now (four weeks later), I'm going out with my chilli again today to see whether the same trick will work twice.  Maybe they'll just develop a fondness for fajitas.

03/04/2014 at 22:06

It's so cheering to read all your stories. We have an army of the little blighters wreaking havoc everywhere. I don't know where to begin! I have been told there is a local guy who is s*#t hot at getting rid of them but charges £50 per infested area and we have quite a few! However, he charges the farmers £9 per area! 

04/04/2014 at 08:05

Not sure if it works but someone once told me that if you put one of those childs beach windmills into the soil it scares tuem off. I guess its due to the vibrations, again not sure it works.

04/04/2014 at 08:55

I saw this the other day, I hope it helps without killing them and moving them to somewhere else ......... cough cough David Camerons garden ...... just kidding 

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Catch-a-Mole-Without-Killing-It-3/

05/04/2014 at 14:20

Thanks guys. Think I might try the extra hot chilli powder trick first. Will let you know how I get on. Twelve hills appeared overnight

17/04/2014 at 19:43

Just when I thought I'd finally got rid of them, they're back!!!  I've had empty lemonade cans upside down on metal rods poked down the holes they made and others along the left side border.  We have now planted up the left border and today there are two large mounds of soil in it, one where the poppy was and the other a rudibeka plant, which were not there this morning.  Also yesterday morning there was a pile of soil on the lawn and another further along on the lawn tonight.  I had removed all but two of the cans on rods, but they are now back down the holes on the lawn.  I have bought 3 childrens' windmills and I'm going to put them out tonight.  The mole repellent buzzer gadgets are still working, buzzing away underground and have been since last year when we first saw moles.

I sprinkled castor oil granules over the lawn and also nematodes last year, but the leatherjackets must still be there as already we've seen crane flies.

I'm now going to try chilli powder down the hole;  the garlic cloves I put down as well last year sprouted, so I had to dig them up.

Silver Surfer

email image
17 messages