Start a new thread

1 to 8 of 8 replies

Biddy3

Hi. I bought some Iberia plants last season and they are flowering beautifully right now, but do I cut them back after they have finished. Iv'e never grown them before.

Alina W

Do you mean iberis - perennial candytuft? If you do then yes, cut back to about half size after flowering.

Gold1locks

And when you have cut it back it will produce lots of new growth that can be propagated easily by taking cuttings. The same goes for aubretias. I bought a few aubretias a year ago and one in particular is a lovely colour, so I'm itching to get at it in a month or so's time. 

Alina W

I'm hoping that my aubretia will recover from the torrential rain we've had - the poor thing has almost been flattened. Such a pretty colour, too - blue with a white eye.

Gold1locks

It's amazing how they look so pathetic by July, as if they have died, and then spring back to luscious life in spring. 

Advertisement

Biddy3

Thank you all for the response. And yes I did mean Iberis I love it. Last season I split up some Nemesia after it flowered and got many plants from this, it was only when I was emptying my hanging basket that I discovered I was able to split them, a nice bonus eh!

Gold1locks

Hi Biddy, 

I assumed you had to take cuttings. I did so last year, bought a couple of plug plants and struck quite a few cuttings from them.

What did you do with your nemesias after you divided them?  Did you overwinter them?  I tried this in my cold greenhouse but was unsuccessful. 

Biddy3

Hi gold1locks.

No I didn't taks cuttings, when I pulled them apart they came away with roots attached, I potted them up and kept them in a cold greenhouse but I wrapped the pots in newspaper and when it got very cold in the winter I covered them with fleece.