London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
8 messages
24/04/2012 at 15:32

Hi. I bought some Iberia plants last season and they are flowering beautifully right now, but do I cut them back after they have finished. Iv'e never grown them before.

24/04/2012 at 15:53

Do you mean iberis - perennial candytuft? If you do then yes, cut back to about half size after flowering.

24/04/2012 at 16:42

And when you have cut it back it will produce lots of new growth that can be propagated easily by taking cuttings. The same goes for aubretias. I bought a few aubretias a year ago and one in particular is a lovely colour, so I'm itching to get at it in a month or so's time. 

24/04/2012 at 16:57

I'm hoping that my aubretia will recover from the torrential rain we've had - the poor thing has almost been flattened. Such a pretty colour, too - blue with a white eye.

24/04/2012 at 17:49

It's amazing how they look so pathetic by July, as if they have died, and then spring back to luscious life in spring. 

25/04/2012 at 13:14

Thank you all for the response. And yes I did mean Iberis I love it. Last season I split up some Nemesia after it flowered and got many plants from this, it was only when I was emptying my hanging basket that I discovered I was able to split them, a nice bonus eh!

25/04/2012 at 13:56

Hi Biddy, 

I assumed you had to take cuttings. I did so last year, bought a couple of plug plants and struck quite a few cuttings from them.

What did you do with your nemesias after you divided them?  Did you overwinter them?  I tried this in my cold greenhouse but was unsuccessful. 

25/04/2012 at 14:03

Hi gold1locks.

No I didn't taks cuttings, when I pulled them apart they came away with roots attached, I potted them up and kept them in a cold greenhouse but I wrapped the pots in newspaper and when it got very cold in the winter I covered them with fleece.

email image
8 messages