London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
1 to 20 of 29 messages
23/08/2013 at 14:12

Hi everyone,

Can you help me identify these little beggars please, they've systematically destroyed the unnamed plant that I was trying to grow (I can't remember what is was!!) and I kept leaving them thinking that the birds would just pick them off. But for some reason they aren't, the caterpillars are just multiplying and growing.

What are they please and are they poisenous to the birds?

Thanks as always for your help and feedback, Heather

23/08/2013 at 14:14

And for my next trick I will try attaching the photo

Here we go:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29785.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

23/08/2013 at 14:14

the pic didn't arrive Heather.

23/08/2013 at 14:15

Its on now nutcutlet, I forgot to attach (its been a long day lol!)

23/08/2013 at 14:18

Large white butterfly I think, one of the whites anyway. As far as I know the birds do eat them but maybe there's something they like better. Pick them off a throw them on the lawn away from the cabbages (if you have a lawn)

23/08/2013 at 14:24

Thanks Nutcutlet. Will get big strong (and more importantly brave!!) other half to pick them off. I'm such a wimp I'll never be a true, all embracing gardener lol I just can't do caterpillars. Thanks again, Heather

23/08/2013 at 14:47

Nematodes from organic gardening suppliers ae supposed to be good but you have to have the right conditions for them to thrive. Contact insecticide or covering with netting or fleece to keep the butterflies from laying their eggs in the first pace are other options or spraying with liquid soap or hand picking. A jet ofhose water can also help dislodge them ut it needs persistence whatever you try. 

23/08/2013 at 15:08

If you see the cabbage white butterflies landing on your plants and laying their small yellow eggs on them you can follow them round, like a real party pooper, squashing as fast as they are laying.

You do tend to look a bit of a loon, but it works.

23/08/2013 at 15:13

Thanks for the input Newcastle, I've noticed they can be persistent little critters. I'll soldier on and see how I go, too late sadly for that plant, its a goner 

23/08/2013 at 15:15

Waterbutts you crack me up! But as for the following them round part, I can do that. Anyone that knows me already thinks I'm slightly crazy anyway so if I did get seen they'd probably just say "oh bless there she goes again" but thankfully I don't have any near neighbours so it'd just be the other half and he's quite used to me now! 

23/08/2013 at 16:30

23/08/2013 at 17:41
nutcutlet wrote (see)

Large white butterfly I think, one of the whites anyway. As far as I know the birds do eat them but maybe there's something they like better. Pick them off a throw them on the lawn away from the cabbages (if you have a lawn)

They don't nut. They taste nasty to birds apparently which is why the cabbage white thrives while other species are in decline. Get your marigolds on heather and get picking and or squishing lol.

23/08/2013 at 19:34

thanks addict that explains a lot. oh well, big brave other half it is or me with a full on space suit and a six foot pole hehe 

23/08/2013 at 19:53

think I'll carry on not growing cabbages

23/08/2013 at 20:06

My brassicas are netted and under poly but they have been reduced to looking like net curtains.  Next season I am going to use  what  I can to eliminate them.  I had lovely cabbages but I had to pull them all up.

23/08/2013 at 21:49

Thats a shame Lynn. I hope you manage to sort it out for next year.

Nutcutlet, I hear ya! 

24/08/2013 at 08:52

We r havin same problem as is our neighbour.  My other half is out there all day everyday it seems..... pickin them off and squashin the eggs.. my neighbour is out there with an electric bat for takin out flies.. he is funny to watch... but we have loads of them here there was 10 on plants other day all at once.

24/08/2013 at 09:22

We saw a cabbage white going through butterfly netting te other day! You'd have thought it was too fine. I hope they're nat all going to learn that trick, One I could cope with...

24/08/2013 at 10:24

You're not the only wimp Heather, I'm embarrassed to admit that one sight of anything that wriggles and creeps and I'm indoors.

We all used to laugh at my mum flailing around in the garden with a tennis racquet, joking about her entering the highland open but she did grow the best cabbages so maybe there's something to be said for looking a nitwit.

24/08/2013 at 10:50

I've got butterfly netting over my brassicas and have seen the little 'b,s' trying to stick their rear ends on to leaves  !

1 to 20 of 29 messages