21 to 28 of 28 messages
29/06/2013 at 20:02

this garden was derelict land for years artjak and then had other peoples rubbish dumped on it. I consider myself lucky not to have ground elder or japanese knotweed 

29/06/2013 at 23:49

Thanks for the responses. There are loads of them, though I've never thrown out any seeds or anything. I'll pull them all up, hoping they haven't already spread.

It's odd though, as over the last couple of years I've had a mix of things spring up out of nowhere. A fig tree started growing. Then two blackberry brambles. This year a rose bush started growing and is doing well, though sadly in a somewhat less than optimal spot with very little soil around it. Ironically, for the last two years, I've been buying loads of seeds and bulbs and had very little success. These random things thrived!

Well at least they did until I got rid of them. The blackberries were nice but were taking over one end of my small garden and probably took too much out of the soil for the flowers I want to grow. And I saw the fig tree as a potential long-term threat to surrounding concrete and fences, so I'm trying to kill it off too. Another tree has appeared directly behind a fence (haven't identified it yet), so I have to speak to those neighbours before it gets big and cracks the floor.

And now I have an ant colony being built rapidly in a makeshift compost bin!

30/06/2013 at 00:15

Willowherb! Of course! That was the name I was having the mental blank about. Part of the trouble with being over 60 - oops, I mean 27. (To those who post on Morning or Evening Forkers).

30/06/2013 at 12:01

Tomsk, your random visitors have grown from the seeds of local plants, so they already know and love your soil. Your bought-in seeds and bulbs might best be grown in pots untill you have dug a nice lot of ant-free compost into the ground.

I am intrigued by the fig tree though. Do you have a photo you can post?

30/06/2013 at 20:47

There's only a stump of the fig tree left, after I tried to pull it up and it snapped. It tried to grow again this year but weed killer kept it at bay, though I still see signs of it regrouping for another assault. Originally, it got to about 5 feet tall and the leaves were developed enough for even me to identify them online after a lot of Google imaging.

There's a large fig tree not far from me, so I assume it came from there, perhaps via birds or insects?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26537.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

By the way, my rose bush has grown quickly in recent weeks due to the warmer weather. It started growing this year, presumably from a seed as I didn't plant it. It's now 2-3 feet tall and is all spikey with lots of leaves but no sign of buds at all. There's not much bulk to it so I doubt it's firmly rooted into the ground yet. Is this likely to produce roses this year or will that happen later, once it's grown a bit more and established? Any tips for looking after it at this stage? I have a feeling I'll want to move it one day, as it's in an unfortunate location (more for it than me!).

03/07/2013 at 10:29

Thanks for the photo Tomsk, it's a same the fig tree is so near the fence. I think removing it is probably the best option so I wish you luck. 

Just a thought though; could it be growing from a runner or a root (like a sumac)? Do figs do that, does anyone know?

Regarding roses, I don't know how long they take to flower. If it's a wild rose (seven leaves per stalk) the flowers won't amount to much in any case. My wildlings are two years old and one foot high, so yours is really doing well though.

31/08/2013 at 17:42

Well, after a couple of months, the rose bush has really grown but has seven leaves per stalk and shows no signs of flowering.

Will this flower next year (its second) or should I pull it up and compost it?

31/08/2013 at 18:08

Oh dear - once again the 7 leaves = wild rose/sucker myth appears.  HT and floribunda roses only have 5 leaflets per stalk.  However, many other types of rose including some marvellous ramblers and old roses have 7 leaflets per stalk.  Have a look here http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/Advanced.asp?PageId=1927  

I'm aware of some marvellous roses that have been grubbed out because of this mistaken belief. 

email image
21 to 28 of 28 messages