Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Identify this tree

Only my 2nd post as new to this site ! 

we have recently bought our dream house out in the countryside in SW Scotland. 

theres a tree that sits on a slope down to the river at the back of our car park and we feel its a shame its located there as its beautiful. so if we can identify what it is we will get another to plant in the garden .  image

• yeah that was the general consesus but just trying to figure out which one to get the same type again . 

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Is the rhododendron growing on ground that was part of an estate?  The reason I am asking is because it looks like one of the less common ones with long drooping leaves. If you are within easy reach of Castle Kennedy gardens, it is possible that they could identify it for you.

SW Scotland
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Joyce's suggestion is good. There are a hundreds of rhodos, many of which are rarely seen. Pages of them in my shrubs book. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328

Any chance of a bit more info, cjrobertson?  How tall is it?  What are the leaves like on the reverse? (They might be furry or smooth, pale or brownish.)  And can we have a close-up of the flowers, please?  image

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • will upload another picture tonight when im home from work ☺. 

the land was previously owned by culzean castle estate many years ago . 

to answer what i can just now is the tree its self is about 12ft tall currently 

Bargany Gardens, near Girvan are open daily in May so It would be worth your while going there as there's a good chance you might get an answer there.

Well worth a visit.

SW Scotland

Bargany.....rhododendrons and azaleas make a wonderful show there.

SW Scotland
  • excellent thanks will check it out . says its only open in may 8 till 5  so will go along in a few weeks . 

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328

Take photos and a leaf with you, to help them with the ID.  image

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.

An excellent source of information would be Glendoig nursery in Perthshire.

Their rhododendron resources section includes plant hunters and rhodo breeders.

If anyone will know They will.

SW Scotland