Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Infilling after stump removal

I am having a large cherry tree stump ground out next weekend and I am wondering what will be the best material to use as infill. The stump is in a border and I would like to plant another smaller tree in the same place.

• I would just fill the hole with soil from other parts of your garden.

If the hole is massive maybe you could use old bricks or rubble

this would maybe help with drainage also

To be honest I don't see why a smaller tree cannot be planted in its place

straight away.
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

With that mixture you could grow a giant marrow on there!

• Thanks for the suggestions.

The old cherry tree, which flowered beautifully every year, had split it two places and my garage and my neighbours garage were both in the firing line so felling the tree was a necessity. Two weeks after the tree came down we had a fierce storm which did a fair amount of damage so it was good timing.

The hole will be about 1.1m x90cms and who knows how deep and I wonder if in addition to compost etc. I could also use some of the chippings in the bottom.

• smallswansmallswan Posts: 86
    If you are going to plant another tree perhaps some Rootgrow to encourage the roots?
  • Could do. I have something similar I used when I was planting roses last year. Thanks.

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

If tou decide to plant a tree I would suggest you avoid planting another Prunus in case of any disease.

• I plan to plant an Amelanchier and am at the moment looking for the variety "Robin Hall"