Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Irregular growth on Acer Palmatum

I have a standard green Acer which spent several years in a pot of increasing size. Last year I finally planted it into the garden, in good drainage and it was planted before the sap rose. Towards the back end of last year around August time, we saw quite rapid growth of new shoots emerging and the tree put on around a foot of growth (It was only around 4 1/2 feet tall prior to this).

This year, it has emerged once again and the older growth is full of leaves which look very healthy but the new growth put on last year is sparse and the leaves are Brown at the tips and do not appear to be developing properly. I did think it may have been due to the frosts we had as everything was about to burst but as the lower growth hasn't been affected it leads me to think it could be something else? 

• Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 518

I've got this too (or similar) - Acer palmatum dissectum Crimson queen that hasn't developed leaves on the new 3-4 inches or so of each branch/twig.  Interested to see what people say about yours CC.

• I would say it was frost problems. If me I would always remove the dead frost branching and maybe cut  the branch down a node or two in the spring when sap is rising. This will in turn push grow back down into the live nodes and progress will be made.