Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Is it just me?

I bought a bottle of Provado Vine weevil killer 2 this afternoon - to kill the little blighters....and I can't get the killer to come out of the bottle. Followed thedirections..with back of bottle facing etc - No 1 - I couldn't see how much of the liquid was in the measuring chamber as I had shaken the bottle (as per instructions) there was liquid all over the inside of chamber!

Then it says take off lid - red and white sections came away tog - is this supposed to happen...is it all the lid?

...and pour out liquid image nothing came out. I squeezed, tipped, tipped again, swore a little at whoever had designed this contraption - not a gardener, I thought.image I finally managed to measure out enough in my own measuring cup to do 2 litres worth when I came in to vent!!!

Is it me? Have I got a faulty bottle? Help!

• OneofsevenOneofseven Posts: 338

I feel for you, Daintiness.   I have problems with those bottle tops where you have to press down and squeeze together at the same time as turning the top.   Arthritis in fingers means any 'child safe' top is also safe from me.   Infuriating!

Your bottle certainly sounds faulty.   Hope you get some joy from the manufacturer.

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

I've been known to march up to a likely looking fellow in the supermarket and ask him to open this please, especially the bleach containers but there are various other things.  I have managed sometimes with a door, hinge side

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

I had this problem with the bulb thing on top of the Provado. In the end I took a knife and cut off the top of the bottle and used the old measuring cup which came with the old bottle.

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

Thank you Berghill. It's not just me!!image

I am going to contact the company but I do need this product to kill the vine weevils now so I will probably follow your lead and cut off the top too.

Oh Verdun if only it were that simple. The instructions say not to emove lid when tilting the bottle to fill chamber...however with or without the lid the liquid will not come out of the bottle. Believe me, I have been patient - reread the instructions several times, told myself not to be so stupid...how hard can it be etc...got my son to look at it ( so he could tell his mother how silly she was being) but he couldn't get it to work either!

I have noticed that the red bit inside the bottle seems to have an opening in it. When I loosen the cap a lttle the opening lines up with the chamber ...now with tipping horizontal and squeezing I seem to have got some liquid in the chamber! 

When you take the lid off...does the red lid and the white bit below it both come off together or just the red lid come off for you?

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I have just tried mine, is yours like this?

No way could I press and turn as is stated on the lid, I put a knife under the top bit of lid where it says press and turn, thats between the tiny thin strip, then cut the tiny red strip off and voila!! It opens like any other bottle, 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.