London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
8 messages
21/05/2013 at 08:02

I have leylandii around the edges of my garden (and it has to stay there I'm afraid), and there is a lot of ivy too. It looks nice and keeps down things I really don't like (nettles etc), but the ivy itself is climbing the trees and walls, and becoming a nuisance.

Should I just try to keep it in check physically, or should I try to remove it?

21/05/2013 at 09:19

Ivy can damage brickwork and leave unsightly marks when removed. I'd keep it in check.

21/05/2013 at 09:33

I agree. If it covers the green of the trees they will turn brown and eventually die. They will stand as 'ivy trees' for a year or so then fall over. It's lovely but needs to know its place

21/05/2013 at 11:41

On the positive side. It flowers late in the year providing a late nectar source. The berries are eaten by birds in the winter and nest in it in the spring.

21/05/2013 at 12:07

I'd agree with the earlier comments - it needs keeping in check.

Definitely keep it off your trees, because it will kill them. Don't let it roam free in your garden, either, because it will strangle other things and eventually get so established that it'll become a serious nuisance and almost impossible to remove.

21/05/2013 at 14:23

Hate Ivy.  Hate hate hate.  Our next door neighbour (the one that's a bit of a nutter) has it growing on his wall and over the garden wall, I'm forever chopping it back, trying to leave only 6 inches or so hanging over the wall, but we've got blackthorn there, so trying to untangle it is a bit of a nightmare, plus I'm now going to have to leave it until late autumn to give a good going over, as there are several sparrows nesting in the hedge.

I removed it from the back of our house last year using an extendable pole and my wolf patio knife - great for slicing it away from the brickwork.  It has left marks though, which I am really annoyed about.

If you like it, for heavens' sake plant the dratted thing in a pot, otherwise it will rampage all over your garden, putting down roots wherever it hits soil.  It's a flipping nuisance in my garden, will be glad when we leave and I don't need to do battle with that any more.

21/05/2013 at 14:33

Its good growing over wooden fence panels. Makes it look like a hedge but doesn't take up as much room. Also the wrens like working among it for insects.

I don't let it get into trees. In winter the extra weight in the canopy can bring a tree down in high winds.

21/05/2013 at 15:25

Good advice, thank you.  That's settled then, I'll go out and chop it off the trees and walls. I might try to eradicate it in some parts, but just keep an eye on it in others.

I had it growing up a garage wall, round a fountain at my last house. I kept it trimmed and it looked lovely, but it was in a pot. When I left, I destroyed it so my nice neighbour (it was her garage wall) didn't have problems with rampant ivy and unknown new neighbours.

email image
8 messages