London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
10 messages
28/05/2012 at 10:35

I had a healthy acer growing in a pot and earlier in the hear transferred it into the garden-it came into growth fine then the leaves started to wilt and on return from holiday the leaves had virtually disappeared into crispy left-overs

I don't think the move had anything to do with it and am sure I have read about this before-here were also some white fungal spots on the trunk which might be signs of disease?

Have dug it -cut it back and dumped it at the top of the garden.

Is there any hope?

28/05/2012 at 12:16

It depends what caused the leaves to shrivel. If it was drought or wind and the plant is a few years old it should have the ability to produce fresh leaves, either this year or next spring.

However, the fungal spots are a worry. Take a really good look at them through a magnifying glass - are you sure they're not scale insect?

28/05/2012 at 12:46

Alina-not drought or wind-I have put an existing containerised one in the vacant spot as a temporary measure

Just been to look at the white spots they are like specks of cotton wool that come way in your hand dotted about 6/9 inches up the trunk-these may unrelated to the problem of course

28/05/2012 at 13:01
Can you put your CSI gloves on and take a picture of the spots?
28/05/2012 at 13:30

hi there, i have had the exact same problem....had the tree about three yrs in a pot.last yaer some leaves wilted and dried up....but was told it was from sun scorch...after that no problems.... but moved it from pot into the garden 3-4 weeks ago,and every leaf has dried up and died....snapped a bit of a branch yesterday,to see if it was dead,but no,still good and alive..  so on closer inspection,found little bits of cotton wool and some sort of small insect attatched to it.... took no chances and lifted it this morning....including root ball and all soil around it....it now is in the green bin. please let me know if you get a answer and a result...so i will know for next time....good luck....

28/05/2012 at 14:02

Figrat-will give it a go but my photo skills are not very impresssive

Scott-will keep you updated

28/05/2012 at 15:59

Scott, there was no need to bin your tree - it was simply scale insect, which would have been eradicated by the use of Provado Ultimate Bug Spray.

28/05/2012 at 16:07

OMG you put it in the bin because it had bugs, they wash off with cotton wool balls and a bit water if you want to take the organic root like myself.

Like I've said a hundred times acers don't like to be moved or messed about with, the chances are it'll not be dead, put it back into it's pot and keep the compost moist. It should come back next spring. Last year, I completely forgot to water my pot grown acer and its leaves shrivled up, but I kept it moist and this year its as good as new.

28/05/2012 at 17:33

hi guys thanks for the info.... i will learn by my mistakes....good to know i can get good honest advice on here.... happy gardening

22/05/2014 at 16:03

I have these cotton wool things on my acer too. Its like white candy floss ) cotton candy ) some of the leaves shrivelled and went crispy but I put that down to winter....now its spring all the leaves have come back so I repotted it and noticed the wooly stuff. I wiped it away with a soft toothbrush but its all back again so I am off out to spray it with pest killer

email image
10 messages