London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
8 messages
19/11/2013 at 11:38

Hello

I planted some seed potatoes in October, purchased as 'will be ready for Christmas'. We've had a period of heavy rain but, before this, the plants that were starting to grow had healthy green leaves.  When I was at my allotment at the weekend, the green had all disappeared and, of the 2 plants that had anything left, the stems were soggy and collapsed.  Is this potato blight? 

19/11/2013 at 11:47

cold and frost ???

19/11/2013 at 11:56

When I have tried this in the past, I was advised to plant the potatoes in deep bags in the greenhouse. I did get a small crop at Christmas, but I wouldn't bother again. Potatoes are sensitive to frost, and potato blight is unlikely at this time of year. I think archiepem is right.

19/11/2013 at 12:04

what i do is keep some back from the main crop . and but in layers in deep pots cover with compost . and put somewhere with a bit of shelter . and check christmas week . any problems  i get  a few packets from sainsburys  and bury  again  and dig up christmass day  the family never twig 

19/11/2013 at 12:14

The frost has killed off the foliage - if you look here 

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=593 there is information for growing potatoes for Christmas - I wouldn't attempt to plant potatoes to harvest at Christmas unless I had a frost-free greenhouse.

20/11/2013 at 11:28

Bob Flowerdew in AG magazine recommended growing potatoes at the normal time. When you dig them up select the best potatoes, put them in a tin with sand or compost. Bury the tin (and remember where), dig the tin up at Christmas time and they should be like new potatoes. Disclaimer: I haven't tried this myself.

21/11/2013 at 09:14

I remember someone on GW a very long time ago - possibly Geoff Hamilton, suggesting the same thing.

KEF
21/11/2013 at 09:38

I've tried growing for Christmas in a potato barrel thinking it would be warmer than a sack, put it in unheated greenhouse, tended as required but they just didn't grow. They were chitted. I've no prob's growing at correct time.

I really did it as an experiment as I usually still have Pentland Javelin stored in a sack in the garage.

I think Archie has the best plan.

email image
8 messages