London (change)
Wed 20°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 25 messages
01/12/2013 at 19:46

Hi all

I am not an experienced gardener, and we have recently bought a house with a beautiful and well established garden.  Having now been in a month we have realised that there is ivy running through most shrubs and covering a lot of the ground, holly also in shrubs and little sprouts scatted around the garden and in paving cracks, and some under the house, and cyclamen that seems to have got everywhere - in the lawn, in cracks in paving, and even through to the grass on the verge by the pavement in front of the house.

Is it possible to trim them back without having to kill them, or to dispose of some but not all?

How do we cut them back enough to control them? 

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Julie

01/12/2013 at 22:16

Ivy , you can just pull out every bit you dont want. Long shoots tend to run along the ground, easy to pull up. If they have already started to climb and stick to tree trunks, cut through thick stems with loppers.

Most people would love to have cyclamen everywhere, you can move them around, or leave them, they are inconspicuous when they die down in early summer. If you really have too many, lift the corms in late spring and pot up, ideal for donating to bring and buy sales or plant swaps.

Holly you are just going to have to dig up. Make sure you have a thick pair of leather gauntlets. Small ones you could transplant in a line for a good burglar resistant hedge that is good for wildlife.

01/12/2013 at 22:18

Also if its an established garden, you will probably have lots of hidden treasures, ie perennials that die down now,and bulbs that will come up in spring.

Take it slowly, and you might have a lot of nice surprises.

01/12/2013 at 23:19

Hi Julie, welcome to the forum!  I'd agree with fidget - I'm very very jealous of your cyclamen, and they will disappear completely for most of the year...maybe you don't need to get rid of them unless you really hate them?  They'll do no harm to anything and they're about the only thing to brighten the garden through the winter.

Ivy and holly, yes, they are a bit brutish (although holly only grows slowly, so easy to keep on top of).  Cut back ivy, dig up / pull out holly if you can.  If you just want to prune it back, feel free - holly and ivy are both as tough as old boots, you won't kill them.

You're going to have so much fun with that garden!  Definitely try to be patient and wait a bit to see what comes up in spring before you do anything too drastic.  I'd advise taking lots of pictures so you don't forget what it looks like at each time of year. 

Also - if this is your first 'proper' garden then try to get some really good tools for Christmas - you will never, never regret it.  Four things I'd get on my list to Santa right now:  some really good gloves;  a pair of Felco secateurs (there's no substitute);  a really good big plastic trug to carry garden prunings and stuff in;  and (my latest absolute must-have) a 'japanese razor hoe', find them online, the most fanTAStic multi-purpose thing, nearly as indispensible for me now as my Felcos.  And that is saying something.

Have fun and let us know how you get on!

Rosie

02/12/2013 at 11:54

I feel your pain ... more holly and ivy than I know what to do with.  I could make a nice tidy profit by selling it as Christmas decorations if only I had the time to! 

I've just spent another weekend pulling both out from underneath our laurels (which are also at some point for 'pulling' out. 

02/12/2013 at 12:37

I agree with the suggestion not to do much if you've not seen the garden through the year - there are sure to be bulbs and deciduous plants lurking.

Just keep on top of the weeding, especially the ivy as that can become a real thug and strangle things.

02/12/2013 at 13:49

I agree about the ivy. It wants removing from shrubs etc before it spoils the shape of them. Also remove from the ground asap in case there are bulbs underneath. It will be hard to remove without spoiling your display later on. Cyclamen will cause no problems, they're lovely

05/12/2013 at 16:33

Definitely cut the ivy back and carefully  get it away from the ground and the shrubs, it will take over just like convolvulous. Fidgitbones and Rosie 31 have given good advice.

06/12/2013 at 12:43

Ivy is ideally pruned or pulled out at this time of year because it's ideal for making wreaths and other house decorations for the festive season. No wire frames etc required: just get twining.

I cut mine for a workshop at the local community garden, where everyone (including lots of families with kids and young adults with no gardens of their own) can come and learn to make their own wreath to take home and decorate as they choose. We've also wound it around rope to make a garland for banisters etc. There are lots of other ideas among the comments on Rachel de Thame's video on making a more traditional wreath on a wire and moss base.

06/12/2013 at 14:05

one word of warning, when working with ivy, it gives off fumes,which can cause respiratory problems, sore throats, etc ,so don't stick at the ivy pruning for any length of time and DO NOT shred, (gives if even more fumes!) or put on compost heap.

06/12/2013 at 14:11

That's news to me. I've never had that problem, lily - and I spend hours at a time working with the stuff, albeit always outdoors (where presumably any fumes would dissipate).

Ivy isn't good for composting because the tough stems don't break down easily - and they get stuck in a shredder, too. Best to put what you can't repurpose in the brown recycling bin to go into municipal composting.

06/12/2013 at 14:12

Cyclamen I'm coming with my bucket and spade bugger to far away

holly and Ivy make a wreath with them but yes cut them back

James

06/12/2013 at 14:14

Forum is full of warnings today. Ivy, mistletoe. 

It's a wonder any of us have lived as long as we have.

06/12/2013 at 14:41

Have worked with large amounts of ivy on and off most of my life, and as a child I spent long hours playing in thick ivy dells and ditches - never had a problem.  

Some people get confused about English Ivy and the American Poison Ivy.  

Also some old ivy shrubs can hold a lot of dust and old pollen which can cause problems from asthmatics. 

06/12/2013 at 15:15

I had a good shred this morning.  I'm still breathing. Some things do irritate the throat but a good cough sorts it out.  I've been stuffing things through shredders for a lot of years now, and pruning. No problems a bit of common sense can't deal with

06/12/2013 at 17:19

See http://www.thepoisongarden.co.uk/atoz/hedera_helix.htm for info about possible reactions to ivy. Doesn't sound like much of a risk, I don't seem to have a problem with it.

07/12/2013 at 13:20

Going back to the original post, JoolieL - best advice for any new garden owner is to tamper with it as little as possible for the first year, until you find out what's there (including bulbs and perennials etc which may be invisible underground).

Take out and/or cut back only what you can identify for certain and know that you don't want.

If possible, get hold of a good gardening year book which will alert you to what you might expect to see and can do yourself as the seasons change - and read good gardening columns (like the Observer's one, available on the Guardian website) wherever you can find them.

08/12/2013 at 13:20
Sound advice all the way through, especially regarding waiting a year before doing anything rash...you might find some beautiful surprises
31/03/2014 at 16:24

help...cyclamen has taken over my yard and shrubbery beds.  I can't dig up the thousands of tubers.  How can I get rid of it?  I have never had it bloom, just those pretty leaves---everywhere.

31/03/2014 at 16:27

Just hoe them off, they won't put up much of a fight. They need a couple or 3 years to get to flowering

1 to 20 of 25 messages