London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
14 messages
05/04/2014 at 17:39

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have recently taken up gardening. In time I have realised that the ivy growing on the fence at the front of our property is growing out of control! It looks like the ivy has become very well established and is very rooted in the ground. I was quite shocked how much space it has taken into the garden at the footings of the fence. I have recently purchased some super strength phosphate which I am considering using although I am very concerned that this may destroy everything that is growing nearby. I will be removing the ivy entirely by hand with loppers etc. Does anyone have any advice on how I could kill off the ivy long term? 

05/04/2014 at 17:59

Rightly or wrongly, my own experience is that I obtained the best result from literally pulling the ivy up with my hands and keeping on top of it too.  The hardest bit was pulling long strands of ivy out from around trees, only to find our kitten on the other end of the ivy

05/04/2014 at 18:06

Yes, pull the ivy off the fence, then dig the roots out if you want to get rid of it completely, then you can use the glyphosate to spray any shoots that regrow.

We had a similar problem when we moved here - the ivy had got so bad that 2 weeks after moving in, a heavy rainstorm added to the weight of the ivy and it pulled a fence down!  We worked thoroughly pulling the icy off the remaining 40 metres of  fence and digging the roots out - now, 2 years later we have no ivy! and the garden seems much bigger!  

Good luck

05/04/2014 at 18:16

I've removed it from lots of places in this garden. Still got plenty, useful cover for bird/mammal/insec.t The flowers and berries are good as well.

Be careful pulling it off the fence unless it's good and solid. I haven't found the need to glyphosate later but it may depend on what sort of soil you're pulling it off. If you're got it on any otherwise empty ground a mower is an excellent tool

05/04/2014 at 18:17

hello Dena, welcome

I've removed it from lots of places in this garden. Still got plenty, useful cover for bird/mammal/insect The flowers and berries are good as well.

Be careful pulling it off the fence unless it's good and solid. I haven't found the need to glyphosate later but it may depend on what sort of soil you're pulling it off. If you're got it on any otherwise empty ground a mower is an excellent tool

05/04/2014 at 18:18

Sorry about the double post

I tried to edit and ended up with 2

05/04/2014 at 18:31

I would agree with Nut, in that rather than remove all the ivy,  it might be better to treat the ivy-covered fence as a hedge and just clip it very close - if the fence is elderly removing the ivy might ruin it.

Our fences had crumbled under the weight of the ivy and all had to be replaced.

05/04/2014 at 18:36

I was about to say the same Dove. If the fence is sound, take a hedgetrimmer over it and take the ivy back. As many have said , it's very useful for cover, small birds might nest in it, and the winter flower/ berry combo is a winner for wildlife too.

05/04/2014 at 20:16

I've got the same problem at the foot of a wall which is cracked from top to bottom and I suspect the thick ivy roots may be why. I've pulled it all off the wall and hacked it back to about a foot, but hesitate to use gylphosate as it's also just a foot or away from a climbing rose. Can you spray gylphosate safely near brown woody stems? or could I just carefully pour some over the remains of the  ivy?

05/04/2014 at 20:21

As long as you keep the glyphosate off the rose it'll be safe.  Get some stiff cardboard or something and make a shield for the rose when you spray the ivy.

05/04/2014 at 20:23

Ivy only damages walls which are already weak. English Heritage did some research with Oxford University which concluded ivy BENIFITS walls because it stabilises the fluctuations of extreme heat and also sheds rain away from brickwork.

06/04/2014 at 16:30

Thanks Dovefromabove, that sounds a good idea & I'll try it (as soon as it stops raining).

Hostafan1 - you're right, the wall is already weak, it's a retaining terrace wall which is pulling away from the house but I don't think  the ivy roots underneath it are helping.

12/04/2014 at 18:36

Thank you all so much for all your comments. I have been outside most of today with my partner and his brother clearing all the ivy and shredding it up using a garden shredder which is an amazing tool! I have posted a photo so you can see how overgrown the ivy has become. I am looking forward to when it is all done and I will post a photo on here to show you the results! I am getting the glyphosphate to hopefully kill it off in the next couple of days. I love gardening!  Dee 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42194.jpg?width=105&height=350&mode=max

12/04/2014 at 19:49

I spent all morning pulling ivy from next door off my fences. My garden is now a couple of ft wider  

I have glyphosphate for phase two which will commence tomorrow 

email image
14 messages