London (change)
Today 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
8 messages
DMG
26/07/2013 at 19:49

Hello

I have a thriving Jalapeno plant in my greenhouse, and another 2 chilli plants.  The plant is amazingly healthy, lots of flower and foliage but NO FRUIT!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28211.jpg?width=322&height=350&mode=max

Incidentally my tomato plants are very poor in yield as well, lots of flower drop there too.  I wonder if the two problems are related?

I hardly ever watered the Jalapeno but in a fit of desperation I've started to give it some Phostrogen!

Any help appreciated!

Duncan

26/07/2013 at 20:42

They are dropping off because they have not been pollinated.  Can insects get at 'em!

26/07/2013 at 23:02

I thought jalapenos - like other capiscums - self pollinated.

26/07/2013 at 23:34

OK, they do in the main, but insects play a part too. I've often seen insects on my chilli plants.

I always understood tomatoes were self-pollinating; so why do growers import thousands of bumble bees each year to help with pollination?  Bees, incidentally which are bringing in parasites which are harming our native bees.

I would also suggest DMG shakes the plants gently and makes sure the ventilation is good.

27/07/2013 at 08:07

I had asimilar problem a month or so back and was advised to either take the plants outside for the day occassionally, or manual polinate.

I tend to get my paint brush out and give each flower a littel tickle, since starting this the chilli plant has produced lots of huge chillis, i am just waiting for them to turn red, although i have eaten quite a few in the green state which are just as nice.

27/07/2013 at 10:05

Yep, it never hurts to give pollination a helping hand with toms and chillies. Outdoors, insects and even a breeze will agitate the flower's internal mechanism and trigger pollination. A brush with the hand or a flick with the fingers achieves the same thing. Indoors, away from insects and a breeze, it's an even better idea.

01/10/2013 at 19:50

Does anyone know if these chilli plants will last over the winter months if they are brought inside?

01/10/2013 at 23:10

Yes. Most chillies are  perennial but tender. A warm windowsill  is fine.

email image
8 messages