Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Japanese Knotweed

I have what looks like Japanese knotweed which has suddenly appeared in my garden after living in my new house for 14 years. I have never seen this before. i have had a look at many photos of examples and although it would appear similar it doesn't have a hollow stem and it has serrated edges to the leaves. Does anyone have an idea what this may be?

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619

As we seem to have lost photo uploading facility at the moment, I would suggest you might want to google Himalayan Balsam - there have been loads of posts about it recently.

• Thanks for your reply but I haven't seen any flowers on the plant like those that shown in the example for Himalayan Balsam.

The leaves on the plant in my garden are similiar but there are no flowers. There are no flowers on the plant that I have in my garden either the ones that seem to develop on the Himalayan balsam or Japanese knowweed.

I can see that if you click the tree symbol you can up load an image but i can see that this isn't working. How long has this been happening?

I am very keen to get this plant idnetified. It doesn't seem to grow as quickly as that suggested by the details I have read about Japanese knotweed but it seems quite fast.

• Have a look at a very recent thread entitled 'Weed Identification Help' and see if it looks anything like the Enchanter's Nightshade on there. 

Good luck.image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    Graham84 wrote (see)

Thanks for your reply but I haven't seen any flowers on the plant like those that shown in the example for Himalayan Balsam.

The leaves on the plant in my garden are similiar but there are no flowers. There are no flowers on the plant that I have in my garden either the ones that seem to develop on the Himalayan balsam or Japanese knowweed.

I can see that if you click the tree symbol you can up load an image but i can see that this isn't working. How long has this been happening?

I am very keen to get this plant idnetified. It doesn't seem to grow as quickly as that suggested by the details I have read about Japanese knotweed but it seems quite fast.

imageI keep saying this- but once again if you upload from an external  photo sharing site site like photobucket or flicker you can post a picture still using the tree icon-it is only the direct load that has been out of action for the past couple of days