Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Japanese Maple Looking Sad

Hello All,

I bought a Japanese Maple a few months ago (Acer palmatum var. dissectum 'Garnet' to be precise) and am growing it in a pot on the balcony. 

I've noticed two things. Firstly some of the leaves are a lot greener than I would expect at this time of year, which I am guessing may be because it's only getting maybe three or four hours of sun where it is. Secondly, and more worryingly, some of the leaves are  drying out, crumpling up and dropping, and really not looking at all healthy. I know it's autumn, but similar trees in my areas still have all their leaves. 

Could it be that it's just settling in, or should I be worried? It has had a bit of an aphid infestation, but I don't think it was that, and I've dealt with that now.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Owen.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

sounds to me like it's perfectly normal behaviour for the end of October. I'd not worry.

Devon.
  • gerrykgerryk Posts: 24

make sure the pot does not dry out. but not to wet at this time of year and keep out of the wind.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

as gerryk mentions, is it in a draughty/windy position? that's often the cause of leaves crumbling, but I don't know how Garnet specifically responds to wind. Also keep the pot off the ground esp this time of yr as water can pool and stagnate at the bottom of the pot

I'm still waiting for my green palmatum diss. to colour-up this year, just a few red tinges at the moment - it's very late, prob due to the warm autumn (here in essex at least). Often means a very vibrant but fairly short end to the leaves when it starts getting proper chilly

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • ommthreeommthree Posts: 314

Thanks everyone.

That's reassuring. It's not in a windy spot, but yes I suppose that late October shouldn't be too surprising to be losing leaves.