London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
5 messages
02/06/2012 at 17:48

help I repotted my acer palmatum in April and all the leaves withered . Then some of the smaller branches died . The tree is still alive so I ve cut the dead ones off as recommended from a gardening site . What do you think the chances are on it's survival ? Think I damaged the tap root when I transplanted it. Not in wind , sun etc. and used ericacious compost and gave it weak feed . HELP !!

Jean

02/06/2012 at 18:07

Sounds like you damaged the roots significantly. Best thing to do is to keep it in a sheltered spot and see what happens. Don't over-water it now that it has no leaves - keep it just moist.

Depending on its age and size, there is a chance that it'll produce fresh leaves, either this summer or next spring.

02/06/2012 at 18:49

Thanks Alina may have sent this twice its 2 ft and 6 years old think its a palmatum bloodgood never had a problem until I re-potted it It was in a wooden container and some of the roots had got into the damaged wood think thats what caused it.

05/06/2012 at 11:41

Keep it somewhat shaded, feed and protect it and it will almost certainly come back - they do put up with alot of abuse before turning up their toes.  You don't need to repot them, though I understand that as its roots were in the wood that you wanted to.  I have seen one over 25 year old, flourishing, in quite a small pot from which it had never been moved.  Choose a good pot, and then leave it alone for a few years - it will delight you for many more with any luck. 

06/06/2012 at 10:12

I didn't really want to re- pot it but had no choice . The wooden container it was in had rotted and the compost was cascading everywhere !

Thanks for your advice , Feel better now as it really is one of my favourites.

Do you have any advice on my bird of paradise plant with the weird flower stalks ? I've posted a question. Many thanks .

email image
5 messages