Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Jasmine hedge

i have to move a Montana that is in a place where it would totally take over everything around it, along our front wall there is a very mature rather vigorous jasmine'hedge' is planting the Montana at the opposite end to the roots of the jasmine and letting them entwine so I have 2 seasons of interest a bad idea?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Montana's are extremely vigorous rose. I have one growing over an old pergola. It was pruned hard after flowering this year and the new growth has almost reached the state it was in before pruning, so be careful. You have to be brutal with them to keep them in check, not that they seem to mind. It's a good idea, but don't be surprised if it takes over.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I have a montana and a jasmine and a rosa filipes, all covering a hawthorn. They are all very vigorous and seem to cope with each other. They have minimal pruning. I just hack off any bits that get in the way.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

I want them to look "full" the jasmine is really mature and vigorous, very happy if they cover the wall completely, I pruned the jasmine really hard early spring this year and it has flowered really well despite pruning at the wrong time