London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
5 messages
09/09/2012 at 23:47

I planted a jasmine (I think it's an officinalis one, but there was no label, as was a present from someone who bought it in M&S!) against a sheltered, west-facing wall, spring 2011. It has growth beautifully and this year gave a good burst of flowers over about 3 weeks, back in May. Since then, no flowers. I have fed it and it is very healthy with good new growth. My neighbour has her jasmine on an east wall and it flowered for about 3 months - looks every inch the same as my variety (deciduous too). Are there jasmines which only flower once, or is mine just not as happy as it ought to be? I had hoped for a few more weeks of flowers, as it's outside my bedroom window, so with the window open at night, it smells lovely. Thanks!

10/09/2012 at 21:11

What colour were the flowers? If white, I would agree on it being officinale.

10/09/2012 at 21:58

Thanks, daituom - yes, the flowers were small, white and star shaped.

Do you know of any jasmine officinalis that only flowers once, rather than repeat flowering over many weeks?

10/09/2012 at 22:07

I have the same jasmine by the sound of it. I just let it get on with life, I don't feed it, I chop chunks off when it gets too big and it has an initial flush of flowers followed by a smaller amount continuously after that. Perhaps you are being too nice to it and it is producing lots of leaves at the expense of flowers. Mine is in a deep raised bed shared with other plants, it has never been fed nor had any soil replaced.

10/09/2012 at 22:24

Hi Flo, so how long was it flowering for overall?

Mine got one feed a few weeks ago, then another now, in desperation at so few flowers! No other special treatments and, like you, I tend to lop off the straggly bits from time to time and that's about it.

Mine is in a very deep, smallish bed with little else in it...soil is ordinary compost, about a year old now.

Do they take more than a year to do more?

Thanks for your advice

email image
5 messages