London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 27 messages
03/05/2013 at 08:06

Having read in an old gardening book that jeyes fluid can be used to treat vine weevil problems (to kill the grubs) and to spray against black spot on roses. I know that it cannot be advertised for these uses, since EU testing regulations have not been met, but I'd like to try it. I have two questions. Does anyone know what proprtion of Jeyes Fluid to use per gallon of water? Are there any other traditional uses of Jeyes Fluid that I haven't discovered? I'd love to find out these things, since these old ideas seem much more sensible than the use of modern chemicals.

03/05/2013 at 10:04

I'd be interested in their anti-vine weevil use as well - don't want to kill the plant too......

I've used it as an anti-cat preparation - dried a few teabags & dunked them in neat Jeyes. They were put down a very narrow cat-width gap beside a fence, & although the cats can easily get in the other side or over the back wall there have been fewer around since then. (And the one which permanently has "the runs" just uses the front lawn rather than both ).

03/05/2013 at 10:19

I do hope someone knows how to use for vine weevle. Brumbull said he treated his fuchsias by dunking both rootball and top growth before taking in for the winter.

I hope there is a way of using it now.

03/05/2013 at 16:58

I wondered if, as it is supposed to do vine weevils it would affect lily beetles

. I would be interested in the proportions as well GG

03/05/2013 at 18:53

I think the idea is that it sterilises the soil and kills the grubs. Brumbull (I think) did say that he soaks the whole root ball in its pot for two days, just in water, to drown the grubs.

I did a bit of internet research and came up with the following.

http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/jeyes-fluid-to-sterilise-soil.html

This discussion says that the Jeyes fluid you can buy now is different from the traditional product. It is used by by vegetable gardeners to sterilise the soil and does not harm. it recommends 1 tbsp to 4 or 5 litres of water.

03/05/2013 at 19:04

I don't think jeyes will kill vine weevil grubs.  I use it to sterilise greenhouse and to "healthify" the drains. 

04/05/2013 at 11:24

Please be careful - those grubs in the garden which are left dying or dead on or near the surface may be eaten by other wildlife such as hedghogs and birds.  Jeyes is toxic, not just to insect we don't want but also to creatures we do.  Perhaps think about using a natural alternative to chemicals - nematodes for example, which can be watered on the soil and attack the insects naturally.

04/05/2013 at 19:26
best cat repellent i ever used.
04/05/2013 at 19:50

Found another web page.

http://www.express-cleaning-supplies.co.uk/custom/upload/downloads/1242.pdf

This has safety instructions. It says it is toxic  to aquatic organisms but mentions nothing else, perhaps because it is not sold for anything but cleaning purposes.

I've read that one teaspoon per gallon is about right and in 2005 the Telegraph recommended it for black spot, sprayed on leaves. I got this from internet research, too, from the RHS forum 2005. It is harmful to animals if ingested. This suggests it would kill vine weevil grubs and harm anything that ate them.

04/05/2013 at 20:51
kathleen salter wrote (see)

I've tryed everything but the only thing that seems to work but not 100% is Jeyes Fluid

the Discinfectant, or washing up liquid plus water spray it keeps it down but  doesn't

cure.

I imported this from a thread about black spot.

28/01/2014 at 13:15

I have used Jeyes Fluid successfully against garden pests in South Africa - one cup to 20 liters of water.

Can I use it to keep my dogs fro digging on specific spots in my lawn?

28/01/2014 at 15:00

I use Jeyes at the recommended dose for washing down the greenhouse interior and exterior.

I also water in all my brassica plants, and peas and beans in the allotment when planting as it is the only thing i have found to control wireworm.

I mix at a ratio of 25Mls to 5Lts water

28/01/2014 at 15:19

As above, I have an old leaflet and it says one teaspoon to each gallon of water!

I also read some where that it was not as before which was phenol based, the recipe had been changed!

Forget the old chestnut that if you use a single drop you will kill half the wildlife on the planet, i use it on cabbages and caulies to try and keep root fly away, around the chicken house and to clean out the budgie cages, none of these have kicked the bucket yet!

Cheers!

28/01/2014 at 16:12

Yes! Brumbull would like to see and try that method!

I am bothered badly with vine weevil on the roots of heucheras, they eat the roots up to soil level, only the tops remain sometimes!

Cheers!

28/01/2014 at 21:06

cabbage root fly

vine weevil grubs

carrot root fly

Why have all the good plants pests that are only detected when they have almost completed their dirty work?

12/06/2014 at 16:20

For a roof covered with algae problem - Pour about 1/2" (15mm) of Jeyes Fluid into the bottom of an old plastic Coke bottle (or similar) and fill the bottle with water. Paint (or spray) the mix onto the algae on your tiled roof when no imminent rain is forecast - and when it does rain again, the algae will be washed away into the gutters.

12/06/2014 at 22:12

Have used dilute jayes fluid to kill cabage root fly.

12/06/2014 at 22:17

Please, if using Jeyes Fluid be aware that when it is diluted with water cats find it very palatable to drink - unfortunately it is highly toxic to them, frequently resulting in agonising death.  

Please ensure that no pools or containers of Jeyes Fluid are left about in your garden.

Thanks. 

12/06/2014 at 23:26

No fear Dove always keep it in a bucket with a lid on.

12/06/2014 at 23:30

They drink it? I thought cats had more self preservation instinct than that.

1 to 20 of 27 messages