Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Jeyes fluid uses

Having read in an old gardening book that jeyes fluid can be used to treat vine weevil problems (to kill the grubs) and to spray against black spot on roses. I know that it cannot be advertised for these uses, since EU testing regulations have not been met, but I'd like to try it. I have two questions. Does anyone know what proprtion of Jeyes Fluid to use per gallon of water? Are there any other traditional uses of Jeyes Fluid that I haven't discovered? I'd love to find out these things, since these old ideas seem much more sensible than the use of modern chemicals.

• I'd be interested in their anti-vine weevil use as well - don't want to kill the plant too......image

I've used it as an anti-cat preparation - dried a few teabags & dunked them in neat Jeyes. They were put down a very narrow cat-width gap beside a fence, & although the cats can easily get in the other side or over the back wall there have been fewer around since then. (And the one which permanently has "the runs" just uses the front lawn rather than both image).

• I do hope someone knows how to use for vine weevle. Brumbull said he treated his fuchsias by dunking both rootball and top growth before taking in for the winter.

I hope there is a way of using it now.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I wondered if, as it is supposed to do vine weevils it would affect lily beetles

. I would be interested in the proportions as well GG

• I think the idea is that it sterilises the soil and kills the grubs. Brumbull (I think) did say that he soaks the whole root ball in its pot for two days, just in water, to drown the grubs.

I did a bit of internet research and came up with the following.

http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/jeyes-fluid-to-sterilise-soil.html

This discussion says that the Jeyes fluid you can buy now is different from the traditional product. It is used by by vegetable gardeners to sterilise the soil and does not harm. it recommends 1 tbsp to 4 or 5 litres of water.

• BenDoverBenDover Posts: 488

Please be careful - those grubs in the garden which are left dying or dead on or near the surface may be eaten by other wildlife such as hedghogs and birds.  Jeyes is toxic, not just to insect we don't want but also to creatures we do.  Perhaps think about using a natural alternative to chemicals - nematodes for example, which can be watered on the soil and attack the insects naturally.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657
    best cat repellent i ever used.
  • Found another web page.

http://www.express-cleaning-supplies.co.uk/custom/upload/downloads/1242.pdf

This has safety instructions. It says it is toxic  to aquatic organisms but mentions nothing else, perhaps because it is not sold for anything but cleaning purposes.

I've read that one teaspoon per gallon is about right and in 2005 the Telegraph recommended it for black spot, sprayed on leaves. I got this from internet research, too, from the RHS forum 2005. It is harmful to animals if ingested. This suggests it would kill vine weevil grubs and harm anything that ate them.

• kathleen salter wrote (see)

I've tryed everything but the only thing that seems to work but not 100% is Jeyes Fluid

the Discinfectant, or washing up liquid plus water spray it keeps it down but  doesn't

cure.

I imported this from a thread about black spot.

• I have used Jeyes Fluid successfully against garden pests in South Africa - one cup to 20 liters of water.

Can I use it to keep my dogs fro digging on specific spots in my lawn?image