Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

jeyes fluid

Can anyone tell me will jeyes fluid kill plants? I want to scrub my slabbed patio area now and again, as we have dogs, but the problem is I have encouraged thymes and other plants to self seed around the area I wouldnt like to kill them off or can you suggest something else thanks

• Hi, weejenny...Jeyes will kill those plants unless diluted to a very weak solution. I would stick to using soap & water. Maybe a combination of washing-up liquid (with a few drops of disinfectant added) together with an hosepipe or pressure washer.

• LowennaLowenna Posts: 88

Yes, JF will definitely kill plants.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Pressure washer good idea, but not between the cracks where you have the thyme etc., is this really the best place for your dogs to be I wonder?  Maybe an area further in the garden would be a better place for them to have a play and explore area? Mind, that very much depends upon the size of your garden.  Anyway, it is yours not mine so of course you do as you wish.  You can use orgainic cleansers for your patio without harming your plants, quite alot of choices on line. 

• Patrick4Patrick4 Posts: 1

Hi, I work with Jeyes and suggest having a look at www.jeyesfluid.com

• weejennyweejenny Posts: 386

Unfortunately too small a garden to stop dogs getting to that area. A pressure wsher would lift plants in the cracks of paving. I will maybe look into something organic. I looked at the jeyes fluid site it doesnt actually say but an interesting site, a tried and trusted product. Thanks everyone

• I know that strong solution of jays  in small amounts across my garden wall stops the cats and where dogs are marking. my dad used to dip cabbage plants into a solution of water and jays to stop root fly , but would it do any good to spray a mild solution  on the garden to get rid of eggs and insects in the soil

• siskin42 wrote (see)

I know that strong solution of jays  in small amounts across my garden wall stops the cats and where dogs are marking. my dad used to dip cabbage plants into a solution of water and jays to stop root fly , but would it do any good to spray a mild solution  on the garden to get rid of eggs and insects in the soil

image That sounds like a good idea - indiscriminate killing off of all insect and invertebrate life in the garden soil - why has no one ever thought of that before? image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Zeb2Zeb2 Posts: 1

I use a weakish solution to deter moles from playing havoc in my garden. we used it years ago on brussels sprouts roots and as a spray over foliage to keep off cabbage white butterflies. I remember that these sprouts grew very large and one plant at least reached about 4 feet high.

The company produced a leaflet about how to use Jeyes and I wish I still had it image

• Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 498

You can get patio cleaners that are not harmful to plants - Clearway is safe, Algon is safe if contact level is low. I guess they won't be as effective as Jeyes, but should do the job. Try googling 'organic patio cleaner'. 

• My next door neighbour watered a rough patch of his garden were his dog urinates,This patch is by the side of our fence seperating our Gardens ,now most of my Rose Bushes have Died,will I ever be able to plant anything here again,