Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Just broke my new plant

Yesterday I bought a Helianthemum Lemon Queen and I'm not ready to put it in the garden so have just repotted into some fresh compost and a bigger pot as the roots were very congested. As I returned it to its place and tried to straighten it a bit, I broke one of the three main stems, right at the bottom - clumsy article that I am :- (

I wondered if it would be possible to turn some of the useless stem into a cutting (or two). I have little experience of taking cuttings and would value some advice.

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

When I started gardening OH strimmed a stem off a vine I had just boughtimage I was so upset that I put the stem in some compost and  was really shocked when it grew. So I would say yes give it a go, but do it properly with grit and cutting at a node.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/propagating/how-to-take-summer-cuttings/323.html

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

Nothing to lose- but not sure if it'll work. Never tried with Helianthus.

Trim the broken stem to just beneath a leaf node, remove most of the foliage above this cut- leave some- & also any flower buds that were forming. Should then have a piece say 6ins long. I'd dip the bottom, cut end, into some hormone rooting powder, if you have any, but no panic if none & then pop the cutting into some moistened, gritty compost near the edge of a pot. I'd probably fix a plastic bag over the pot too to save evaporation & then put the whole into a coldframe, or sheltered corner by a wall & wait & see. You can tell if it's worked by seeing some new growth through the bag, but watch for the whole rotting off.image

Just checking in book & the normal way for propagating this plant is by division in Autumn/Spring, but I suppose you can treat it like a penstemon or Fuschia both of which I treat as I've described. J.

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

Thank you Jo and Kate for your prompt responses. I did just shove it in the pot while I wondered what to do. I'll give it a go and if it doesn't work, then the worms can have it to make more compost :- )

• Bread wrappers make suitable bags to keep cuttings moist. Perhaps unnecessary at this time of year.

As you need to remove the top bit from the cutting, you could simply stick that in a vase of water, and see if it flowers.

My Helenianthema are getting over now.

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

Just had another thought after reading Gary's post- some of the crysanthemum family (spelling, sorry) can produce water roots when in a flower vase. Again, worth trying & seeing if yours does too. J.

• Have a go,nothing to lose.put in pot and wait.

Thanks one and all.

Flo x

Thanks christopher. I can blame the wind, it was my clumsiness. But I will try side shoots.