Start a new thread

1 to 5 of 5 replies

I have just moved into a new flat and have never had a garden before, and previously the back garden had not been cut in over a year. I have cut with a strimmer and then the lawnmower but it is looking very brown and dry. Is there any tips on trying to return it to it's former glory?

Next time it rains Kevin - it'll spring back 

Once it's greened up , you'll be able to see what else needs done. It'll probably need a bit of weed and feed to get it looking well and if it's compacted it might need spiked to help the  drainage. If it's a bit bare you might need a bit of seed put down. Lots of people here will be able to help you out anyway as time goes on.

Hi Kevin 

I agree with Fairygirl - it's looking awful because the base of the grass has been hidden from sunlight etc - now it's in the sun it'll start to grow and photosynthesise and produce chlorophyll and turn green.  

Rain, sunshine and regular mowing, at least once a week, will encourage it to green up and thicken out and it'll soon be fine.

As Fairy suggests, a packet of Weed & Feed applied as instructions on the pack will also perk it up no end. 

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. Will no doubt have more questions as we go on!

Here's hoping for a green lawn!!

Its nothing to worry about if all else fails dig it up and you will have a space for plants which in my opinion is far better giving you endless possibilities good luck