London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
21 to 40 of 48 messages
21/01/2012 at 21:21

My garden is surrounded by cats so you can imagine the problem I had when I created a raised bed . What started off as a challenge soon became a serious issue, I've got young children so cat crap is not only disgusting, it's also dangerous. I literally tried everything and I can assure you now that the only thing that truly works is a water sprayer. Cats hate water! It cost be about £50 but honestly it''s the best investment I ever made.

I actually watched my nemesis' come into my garden, look around and then skulk up to it's usual spot. When the sprayer went off it jumped out of it's skin and legged it. You'll have to make sure you keep it switched on though as they will come back after a little while.

Last month, one of the most prolific offenders was sadly knocked down by a car (not mine). I swear my neighbour thinks it was me.

23/01/2012 at 19:17

What about getting more cats!  They don't tend to poop in thier own gardens... a trip to the RSPCA or Cats Protection League would do the trcik as there are sooooo many homeless kitties that would love a garden to defend...and you'd be giving a furry friend a home who would repay you with much entertainment just like Eddie's cute carrot fly cat!

24/01/2012 at 10:34

My neibour has just aquired two cats. I hope they are intent on catching rabbits,rats and mice as the previous ones were. My vegs are mostly netted to stop the rabbits.

24/01/2012 at 16:33

My old cat refuses to venture farther out than the patio, unless it is sunny and warm, I was horrified to find piles of cat poo in my old stone clematis trough the other day. After I cleaned it out,(Does anyone know if catpoo is either harmful or beneficial to clematis and daffodil bulbs?)  I raided the greenhouse for thin green plant support sticks and planted them in the trough, fairly close together, so far so clean. If it works, it seems like a cheap and cheerful solution.

24/01/2012 at 20:03

We suffer from the cat that lives 9 doors away!  We have tried a sonic thing but the batteries need charging every few days I have also tried scardy cat plants but last years cold killed them off.  I cover my beds with sticks and wooden planks but it just goes on the grass then and that is even more of a risk to my children. I do shoot it with a water pistol if I see it during the day but it seems to do its business at night. Any advise gratefully recived.

26/01/2012 at 11:59

The citrus one has worked for me, scattering pieces of lemon peel around beds, but keeps having to be replaced regularly. I was going to try the lion dung but have decided to go for a sonic cat repeller, heard mixed reviews of them but like the idea of sticking it out there and leaving it to it! We'll see how it works. Has anyone here actually found they work?

26/01/2012 at 18:36

Buy a water scarecrow moveable, 24/7 takes care of deer, herons, foxes and cats but can be adjusted to be bird friendly. Not  cheap but it works and saves money in the long run...and along with your blood pressure! Don't go for any 'copies' as they are not worth the money by all accounts - Amazon had an offer on them before Xmas. I've had mine for nearly 6 years and it is still going strong, it has protected my patio, bulbs, seedlings, veg patch and pond at different times with 100% success.

26/01/2012 at 19:38

This year I am going to try citronella oil mixed with water.  I've read that it is highly effective. Apparently it can be safely administered to paths but it's not for use on grass or plants.  Perhaps there is a way of using it to create a border around your patch? 

26/01/2012 at 21:12

PS as to the cat problem i  put down holly twigs every year and keep them topped up.This was past down to me by my dear old grandad; just cut them up in small pieces and put around your gardens they rot down but still work and are available all year round.Thanks

26/01/2012 at 22:42

we use old coffee grinds to stop the cats in our garden. Speak to local cafe or coffee shop and get them to collect all their coffee grinds in a large old bucket or container etc. Then just sprinkle the grinds around the garden where you don't want cats to go... learn't this trick working as a gardener for East Lothian Council last year. It worked, until the rain eventually soaked away the grinds - also had the garden smelling of coffee for a while but it's better than cats! Cheers!

26/01/2012 at 22:52

I bought two metal windmills (like the plastic ones you see at the seaside) from Hampton Court flower show last year.  I bought them as decoration and put them near the veg plots.  They make a noise as they go around and not only have they scared off the pigeons but I have noticed a lack of cats using my veg patch as their local toilet. 

27/01/2012 at 02:22

OK. I have 8 of the little devils - all strays that I've reluctantly taken in because I am a push over when it comes to cats. I use old, rusty stock fencing. If you go out into the countryside you will often see bundles/roles of it discarded next to new fences that have been replaced. The farmer or shepherds will only be too glad for you to take it away as long as you ask permission. 

'Rusty' fencing is best because you can't see it against the colour of the earth - it is quite invisible from even a few feet away, especially once the plants start growing. 'Old' fencing is best because it is most effective if it is crumpled up befor it is laid over the top. If the fencing is too flat, the cats will just scratch in between the wires, eventually covering them with soil, so your barrier will vanish! If it is well crinkled up it is much more difficult for the cats to wiggle their paws and bums in around in it. I have had no problems with them getting stuck or anything like that because stock fencing (unlike more dence guage fencing) has quite wide square gaps. A double layer put over the vegitables and flowers is even more effective, but the more layers, the more difficult it is to lift and to weed, so a good ballence depends on the crop/flower type.

27/01/2012 at 07:50

Some interesting ideas. Thanks. I must say I've tried most of them already. Def not interested in getting a cat. Mine is only bedded garden in terrace-row! Chilli doesn't work, dung produced loud remarks from neighbours - though it's their cats causing trouble. Won't coffee grinds have long-term negative effects?  I don't even have garden birds because of visitors!! Can't afford sprinkler - might be the best solution.Thanks Dinah, that might be one to look out for - some rusty old fencing.

27/01/2012 at 17:30

I bought some cat repellant granules, thinking of course they would be a waste of money, but they really work and the cats have never come back, if we dog owners did not clean up after our pets, we would be fined, we even had a cat claw holes in the polly tunnel because it could see a moth flitting around,

27/01/2012 at 19:32
27/01/2012 at 19:43

I have tried moth balls, which work.  I buy them off the internet and the postman is not too keen on having them in his bag.  He says it makes the rest of the mail smell.  Too bad - some of the smelly mail goes to people whose smelly cats used my garden as a loo.  If they didn't do that I wouldn't send for the moth balls!!

27/01/2012 at 19:45

Don't know why this came up but here's a smile!

27/01/2012 at 20:28

I have 2 cats, and I cover my vegetables with old fireguards etc, I leave an area for my cats toilet, and I turn the ground over regularly, also, my cats are kept indoors at night, and use 2 litter trays before they go out in the morning, this summer they were great at chasing away cabbage white butterflies, and they ve been keeping a pigeon away from the purple sprouting and brussels. 

28/01/2012 at 13:51

last year i got rid of a couple of cat visitors by spraying white vinegar in a few areas around the perimeter fence, or you can soak rags on sticks among your veg rows,  they and deer, rabbits ets hate the smell, i found it in a handy spray bottle for a quid in more than one of the discount shops, also kills dandelions in the lawn if you spray the leaves after cutting the tops off. needs re doing if it rains though. i recomend buying a vinegar book or looking it up on line as there are so many environmentally friendly uses for it in the garden or cleaning. looks like i need to go out and get spraying again as the ginger tom is back and i have not seen him until the last couple of days.  

28/01/2012 at 17:31
http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/5385.jpg?width=350

Once I had sown my veg this year, I covered my raised beds with netting. I used a load of old CDs I had collected during the year (from junk mail and weekend newspapers) to keep off both birds, foxes and cats. I took this picture soon after I have completed this bed. I think the cat was very confused as to what had happened to his rather large litter tray. It seemed to work. Once the plants were established I removed the netting but kept the CD's. 

21 to 40 of 48 messages