Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Keeping Cats off My Veg Patch

Can anyone tell me how keep cats from digging up my veg patch. As soon as you dig the earth over a cat has been in there, yuck! Now get me wrong, I like the furry purries but I just get fed up with them digging up my garden all the time.  Didn't have this problem when I had my dog.

• Try growing the curry plant.   They don't like the smell!

• I am a cat lover too but since I lost my old girl last year the locals have moved in! One even does its business in my gravel footpath-lovely! But with my veg beds I just lay over them whatever is to hand eg allsorts of pea-stick cuttings, cut up lengths of bramble, the thick lengths are really effective, wire mesh shelves from an old mini-greenhouse etc. As I plant in amongst them I gradually remove the branches etc. seems to work pretty well.........

• donutsmrsdonutsmrs Posts: 487

Thank you for your comments.I've got Curry plants in my front garden and they still go into the flower bed now and again. I think really its a problem we gardeners may have to live with, I've tried the ultra sonic devices and they're not  very good either. I'm glad I didn't throw my dogs pooper scooper out. 

• I read in the paper you can buy lion dung, but do not know if it works, I have three stray cats I feed so can not complain if they use my garden to dump.

• donutsmrsdonutsmrs Posts: 487

I might try lion dung, its worth a try. I wont use anything that may hurt the cats, after all they dont understand and they are only doing what cats do. 

• When you have your own cats they normally go to someone elses garden to relieve themselves but not mine! What can you say!
  • sal3sal3 Posts: 18

Ive got two cats,the kitten dug all my freshley planted spring bulbs up in September.I replanted them,and placed water filled plastic bottles around the bulbs.It seems to have worked.Hope it works for your veg patch,the only problem is the bottles are unsightly.

• the water filled bottles works for me

• chilly powder works as well

• We have two cats and have found a great way to stop them leaving poops all over our garden and the neighbours. A couple of years ago I made a designated toilet area - I chose a spot next to a fence and under a tree so it keeps as dry as possible. I keep a trowel nearby so I can bury their poos deep in places I've chosen. Every now and again I top the toilet up with old compost or sand. They both use it (bless them). I'd rather have the job of toilet attendant than the task of cleaning up after an unexpected squished mess - and my little plants have much better chances! Only works if you have cats yourself  I suppose.