Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Keeping flies down in chicken area

Anyone have any ideas of how to reduce flies in chicken pen area?

Tried keeping the droppings down but they have scrambled away all grass we had and walk their muck into the soil.

Am trying some bacterial solution to breakdown the dirt/muck to see what difference that makes, but any otehr suggestions welcome

• Edd

Thanks for reply, the flies are around the floor area not the compost bin where most of the droppings end up.

I am assuming you mean red worm composting for the litter, etc?

• I use a powder called biodri. It's an absorbent and disinfectant in one. It gets rid of the smells which attract the flies. I find sand works really well as a bedding. The best thing I ever did was get rid of the mud bath that they'd dug in the coop, put a deep barrier down, concrete slabs and a ton of sand. It keeps them dry, if it rains it drains very quickly and they love digging in it. In summer its a dust bath and it keeps their claws trimmed and they eat the stones. I have little bantams so they have feathered feet which used to get clogged with mud and it was horrid to have to hose them every night, they used to get so annoyed at me. But now it's fantastic. They are happy and clean and i just buy a bag of sharp sand every couple of months for a £1.