London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
3 messages
22/07/2012 at 15:09
My kerria japonica has put out several news shoots about six foot tall,but they've all flopped and leaning forward. Should I chop them down and tell the plant to try harder, or stake them upright? Does reducing the plant by half after flowing produce a more prostrate plant? Is it too late to do this now?
22/07/2012 at 16:38

As far as I know, you cut out the flowered stems and let the new ones replace them. They don't normally lean unless they're going to the light, so I would be inclined to support them straight. I don't think there's any issue with doing them now.

22/07/2012 at 16:58

I have a large stand of this plant, along the side of a path. It does have a tendency to spread, slowly, and to flop over the path. I actually took a hedge trimmer to mine, just a couple of days ago. I trimmed it just as though it was a hedge. But if you have a specimen plant, you obviously wouldn't want to do that. These plants are pretty resilient. Quite easy to lift and divide if you fancy some more. Despite its drawbacks, it does make a good evergreen screen.

email image
3 messages