1 to 20 of 38 messages
13/06/2014 at 15:50

How do we navigate the presence of all three? My 15 year old daughter has just come home from school and blasted a football down the garden,taking a ball-obsessed black lab with it,charging through the centaurea montana and euphorbias,not to mention heaven knows what else.I dare not go down there and look.Its times like this that I wish I never invested any kind of emotion into the garden.Perhaps if I just let it go completely and have a hay meadow.It would certainly save me a lot of time and stress,lots of lovely chest-high nettles and bramble thickets.This incident made me angry,and I've tried to point this out but then it begs the question again.Would it be easier to just let it all go.

13/06/2014 at 15:54

I didn't do too much in the bikes and balls age Fishy. If you haven't spent hours and pounds it doesn't hurt. so much

13/06/2014 at 17:12

I'd be upset too, but you've got to be thankful you've got a daughter who'll go outside instead of just coming home and sitting in front of the tv.

13/06/2014 at 17:19

While I do sympathise, I guess gardens are outdoor space that should also be used (as well as look pretty). At least it was your own daughter and doggie, I get next door's footballs crashing through - I don't have any kids!!Wondering if you could invest dosh as well as emotion and have a section that is yours, off-limits to ballgames and a section for your daughter - is your garden large enough for that next year?

13/06/2014 at 18:08

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. I probably should have taken a 30 minute time out before posting,and yes I should see the positives. My daughter is a good kid when all is said and done...and now I've chilled out a bit I can see that lol. But believe me,I was as annoyed as the Mexican manager over those two perfectly good goals that were disallowed 

14/06/2014 at 01:26

Time flies and she will be off to college or round the world in no time. You'll miss her!

14/06/2014 at 08:54
Just think of it as a kind of chelea chop! Most plants will put new growth on after a bit of damage! Only a couple of years and im sure she will be into something else! Enjoy it while you have it x
14/06/2014 at 17:47

I have 3 dogs, one of which is a entire male so pee`s up everything the other likes to eat things I also have 4 children who like to tear round the garden with footballs etc. I have given up planting in the main part of the garden except for hanging baskets. I have another part of the garden that is fenced off and NO ONE is allowed in there!!!!

14/06/2014 at 19:02
No kids for me, but i have a labrador who likes to dig holes, them lie in it- weirdo! Fences all around the veg plot for me too
14/06/2014 at 19:05

No dogs and my two too little to destroy anything yet though. 3 year old does water rather erratically...drowns one pit leaves the rest but she has a go! Our garden is really small, but as we live 1 min walk from botanical gardens hoping most ball games can be played there

14/06/2014 at 19:09
As much as we complain, we wouldnt be without the little critters!
14/06/2014 at 19:48

No we certainly wouldn't be without them.In fact last night our little Border was off colour and the garden suddenly became a complete non-issue.He's better today and back to his usual self but it helps to keep things in perspective 

14/06/2014 at 21:47

Little critters!  I have 3 sons all 6ft and over ( I don't even make 5 1/2 ft ) ? Have a bowl like dip in the lawn where the 2 older ones decided to dig a hole to put the youngest one in appx 6 years ago!  Despite best efforts to bring it up to level there is still a noticeable dip which makes me smile every time I mow the lawn and I can still see my youngest poking his head out and smiling at me! 

Wouldn't change a thing. 

14/06/2014 at 22:04
On the other hand, do you remember being a kid running round the garden? I have such fond memories of popping the buds on grandads fushias!
17/06/2014 at 22:15

Rebecca - still can't resist (Ooh not running round the garden) the fuschias

My dad (90 next month) said he, and his brothers decided to play coal mines.  They dug a huge hole in the back garden and emptied the contents of the coal shed into it.  Think there was trouble - and a dip

17/06/2014 at 22:19
See, kids have been causing gardeners trouble for generations! All of the gardens have survived - magical places
17/06/2014 at 22:29

2 teenage boys and 2 Beagles = lots of fun!!!   

I caught one of the beags digging where my blueberry bush is tonight, it seems to be his favourite digging spot at the moment.  We also get animals at the bottom of the garden (mice and squirrels mainly) so the beags like to go on the border to try and get  through the back hedge, destroying 2 sunflowers and 3 Cosmos so far in the process!!!

Apart from that I've not done too bad.  My veg patch has a picket fence round it so they can't get on and I use Dog Rocks in their water to stop the lawn going yellow.

As for the boys, well with golf and football they quite often get told to be more careful!!

17/06/2014 at 22:33
If we are honest, its rare that things are really damaged or killed isnt it, says she with no kids and a decrepid dog!
17/06/2014 at 22:38

I have learned to plant the tough stuff where the dogs go.....Cosmos was a mistake but only because I ran out of space for them so wasn't overly bothered.  On the plus side the beags now recognise pigeons and magpies and chase them off but they just sit and watch the blackbirds, thrushes, robins etc so that's a bonus.  It's also quite amusing watching them chase a squirrel across the garden as they a re too slow to catch it (thankfully) 

I like it when sometimes my boys will ask me about a plant when no one is listening, secretly they are interested but just don't want anyone to know 

17/06/2014 at 22:46
Its the OHs you need to watch! Doing diy to help you in the garden! Not.
Loved reading your stories on here.
Our trampoline is used for kicking and throwing balls, not jumping so that tends to give me a few more grey hairs when it comes over the net onto my newly planted area. My precious alliums, oh ho, please no beheading them this year (had a big problem with this last year!). Have allowed two dogs into my garden this year (never ever before!), one ate my daffodils and owner found it a bit odd how I reacted! The other gave me heart attacks but was in fact only sniffing so no damage done!
Yep, the garden still survives and thrives but its nice when they get older!
1 to 20 of 38 messages