London (change)
Today 27°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
14 messages
03/07/2014 at 13:41

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51461.jpg?width=350&height=272&mode=max

I have a laburnum tree in my front garden. It is about 20 years old.

This year it flowered as usual

Today I noticed that all the leaves have gone brown and died.

There are flowers/shrubs underneath which are not effected

It seems green when I broke off a twig.

Does anyone know what has happened?

03/07/2014 at 13:47
Yep, me too. I was convinced that some sort of airborne pollution was to blame. As we live in a rural area with only sheep for neighbours I was puzzled by it. We did have a big fire 20 miles away and the pollution blew in our direction for 3 days. Anything similar that you can remember?
03/07/2014 at 14:20

Hi Carol Anne

A Laburnum can contract a disease called `Tip Dieback` i was made aware of this disease in the early nineties it is a fungal disease

I have tried the RHS website and cant find anything on it

Laburnum trees only live till about 25 years 

I dont know if that is whats wrong, hopefully this will give you something to try and search

03/07/2014 at 14:53

Thank you guys for the replies.

There is not any pollution that I am aware of.

I will look up tip dieback.

03/07/2014 at 15:43

Hi Carol Anne

I did some more research and the reason I could not find anything on

`tip dieback` because it was it was under another name.

It could be a disease called Sudden Oak Death or Phytophthora Ramorum, i should have remembered that I was only talking about Phytophthora two days ago ( old age creeping in)

It transfered from America to the Uk in 1995, It causes die back on the tree 

Other causes could be old age, or you could try rocking the tree if it moves the ground is waterlogged and you have root rot

Silver leaf you will find info on the RHS website

03/07/2014 at 19:38

Thanks Buddyboy.

Is it wise not to plant another tree in the same spot if this one has to come down?

03/07/2014 at 19:39

The twig is still green inside, does that mean it is still alive?

03/07/2014 at 19:50

Laburnum are susceptible to Silverleaf disease http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=245 

03/07/2014 at 20:06

Green doesn't mean it's still alive Carol, not when it looks as dead as that. It just means it hasn't been dead long.

I don't know laburnum diseases but I'm sure it will be a disease. It's not old, mine were planted around 1960, I've known them for the past 20plus years. They do have bits of die-back but I've been lucky and never lost a whole tree.

03/07/2014 at 20:11

Hi Carol

If it is Phytophthora it is not advisable to plant another tree and you would need to check what trees would contract this disease before planting ,there is quite a few

Its still alive if there is green, if it is phytophthora it will gradually move down the branches

It may just be old age, if that is the case then you can plant another Laburnum

Rock the trunk of the tree if you can and see if it moves its root rot

Before deciding on what it is, just go through the four different symptoms i have told you about and work on the process of elimination and see what you end up with

Use the link that Dove has given you on Silver Leaf it will save you searching for it

03/07/2014 at 21:11

Thanks guys, you have been a real help

03/07/2014 at 21:13

Hi Nut, I understand what you mean about the green, no offence

03/07/2014 at 21:17

Hi BB. I'm not easily offended. I give my opinions and respect those of others. That's how a forum goes for me

03/07/2014 at 21:18

Ditto

email image
14 messages