London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
20 messages
02/12/2012 at 21:20

Last year our tree, which is alive, had no flowers!? What can I do to help it next year?

02/12/2012 at 21:45

Don't feed it, starvation is more likely to lead to flowering. 

02/12/2012 at 23:57

Then again ......?  Our tree, of about eighty years old, looked to be getting weaker - poor leaves and smaller, fewer flowers so I asked a local tree surgeon if he felt it was needing his services.  He replied "Do you feed it?"  I said no and he said to get feeding it - how else could it grow well?  I now feed it blood, fish and bone with a good mulch of compost every Spring and it looks very good each year.

03/12/2012 at 06:38

Have a good look at your tree and try whichever of those two suggestions hasn't been working 

Perhaps a clue will be how the tree looks apart from the lack of flowers - if it's making growth and has plenty of healthy foliage and you've been feeding it then I'd stop feeding (although you could give it some potash to encourage flowering).

But it's looking a bit weak all over with little new growth and sparse foliage then it will benefit from some feed and a good mulching.

03/12/2012 at 06:44

I'd give it a thick manure mulch now and a liquid feed when in growth. You do get this with flowering trees - they'll adopt a good year / bad year cycle if food is getting short or conditions have been unusual. I generally consider it the tree's way of saying "Oi! You with the mud under your nails! Little help here!".

03/12/2012 at 15:47

as I am sure you know laburnum seeds are very poisonous when eaten,small children are often tempted to eat them as they look like pea pods.they are very deadly.

03/12/2012 at 16:28

If we took out all the toxic plants, we'd have some very big gaps in gardens! The usual problem is trying to get kids to eat peas or any other greens. I think fear of poisoning is greatly overstated. 

03/12/2012 at 16:28

Thank you all for the suggestions. Feeding it appears to be the most suitable course of action in relation to our sad looking tree and so we will do that next year.

Colin

03/12/2012 at 16:37

not really my friends children were poisoned  and taken to hospital in a bad way and they were lucky.I think its best to either educate people to know about toxic plants and how to avoid being poisoned as in old days parents taught their children how to recognise plants and berries they should avoid.Having worked 43 years in nursing believe me a lot of people and children eat the wrong things which could of been avoid.

04/12/2012 at 09:33

Well, I think you've got the answer there, Rose, which is that it's all about good parenting and education. I spent all my childhood grubbing about among berries, fungi and so on, as did many of my friends, without any ill-effects. The answer is to get closer to the plants rather than further away from them. I'm more concerned about what many people deliberately give their children to eat!

Joe

04/12/2012 at 20:48

Too right Joe. 

26/06/2013 at 19:36

I have a laburnum tree and it has been here long before I moved here 31 years ago and every year I get coments, it looks fantastic but sadly this year nothing has appeared no leaves and sadly no flowersdo you  think it may have a desease or some other problem  

27/06/2013 at 14:07

bump

27/06/2013 at 18:50

Hi

Laburnum tree's can last for up to 50 years but not many do and the main issue is that they die from the rootball upwards due to root virus, the best way to get them to flower is to treat them mean, they tend to thrive in poor soils, you will find many specimens on waste ground that has been left for years and there ability to spread there roots are restricted. Check out you local area and I'm sure you will spot quite a few that have been planted and left to look after themselfs and these are usually the one that have masses of flowers in spring. Hope this helps

28/06/2013 at 21:21

Our laburnum has turned around. We fed it with some slow release chicken manure pellets. It has had good foliage growth and a lovely display of flowers.

29/06/2013 at 07:01

Hurrah!  

24/07/2013 at 06:13

My Laburnum has a sticky resadue all over it which is going on to other shrubs around it, is there anything I can do about this?

24/07/2013 at 08:11

Plants are like people.....good years and bad years.  Sometimes we need do nothing and the plant will thrive following year.  Fruit is good example of this...bad year is often followed good one.

I did recover my laburnum years back by pruning but it simply wasn't a good clone.

I totally agree with joe.....education is the key to poisons in garden and environment.  Just not growing such plants is not the answer. 

17/01/2014 at 06:52

My neighbour planted a laburnum tree just a few feet away from my back door a few years before I moved in. 10 years on, it's such a nuisance. It sheds seeds, pods, leaves and petals all over my patio 12 months of the years. It has reached a height that means I have had to move my satellite dish and it blocks out the sun all morning. I get on well with my neighbour and want to offer to pay to have it trimmed and the canopy lowered, will it harm the tree if I do it in the spring so I can enjoy summer in my garden?

18/01/2014 at 17:30

Well, if he refuses to do anything about it that's just hard luck, as it was there before you moved in.  But you can of course trim back anything on your side of the fence, but only back to the fence-line.

email image
20 messages