London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
9 messages
04/08/2012 at 09:27

I grew  Lamium and  Ajuga in pots last year and I would like to propagate them. All the books seem to say that if they grow in the ground they produce their own offsets and therefore they should be divided. As they are in containers can I take cuttings?

04/08/2012 at 09:31
I should imagine the Ajuga spreading it's roots for off shoots in the pots as it does in the ground, which it has in my garden. Therefore, perhaps try rummaging around gently in the soil to identify off shoots in the pot, which could be separated to make new plants.? Happy hunting!
04/08/2012 at 09:34

Hi Kate,

I had a large Ajuga growing in a pot last year, it had outgrown the space so it was trailing over the sides.Before I planted it in the ground, I took off the offsets and planted them in small pots and waited for them to take root and then I had loads of new plants.

04/08/2012 at 09:47

Hollie-Hock that is exactly what has happened, how long did they take to root?

mariebainbridge thanks for the advice 

04/08/2012 at 11:01

I have taken cuttings of Lamiums Kate

Pam x

04/08/2012 at 11:10

Difficult for me to remember exactly, as I moved the main big plant into the garden at the end of last Summer.  I took the offsets as a bit of an experiment so they were overwinted in a coldframe and then I planted them out earlier this year.

I think if you did it now they wouldn't take long to root. With the ones that are in the garden I just gently make sure that the runners are touching the soil, with a bit of bark or small stones and they just take root all on their own.

When I removed the original plant out of its pot I was amazed and how much root there was. You could probably get away with dividing it as well

04/08/2012 at 12:22

Pam and Hollie- Hock, thanks for the advice, I have taken some cuttings this morning so I hope that I have some success 

The main plant will go in the garden in September so I will have to remember to push the offsets into the soil.

24/08/2012 at 19:40

Is it the lamium with the yellow flowers?

or the silver leaved one with purple flowers? 

Both rampage through my garden without any problem - I have to pull up armfulls of it to keep it under control!  Similarly the ajuga which self seeds everywhere.  I love them all, but they spread by shallow creeping roots.  I suggest you plant them out in the open ground and you'll never look back!

They also seem to do well in dry shade under my pear tree, as well as in more sunny areas.

24/08/2012 at 19:56

I just pulll bits of ajuga off with a little bit of root and the grow on very easily.

email image
9 messages