Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lanky seedlings

Barely are the seeds popping their heads above the ground and wham... they are 5cm/2" long and lanky. What did I do wrong and what do I do next?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ok, it is the tomato seeds and purple sprouting broccoli. They stand in heated propagators in a window sill facing the south...

• JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

Hi Garden Viking, I did the same thing last year and sowed my tomato seeds in early Feb (Can't really comment on the broccoli)

I was told quite a few times I had sown them too early! It turns out I had!!!

I did however manage to get my plants through to cropping by putting them under lights as well as on a cool south facing windowsill. Low light and heat will unfortunately make them leggy and weak. I put them outside on sunny mild days for a few hours as soon as the weather was good enough (late March time) to try and give them more light and slow them down a bit. They did crop well but as they were probably weak did succumb to blight early in the year (August) but were fruiting from June.

It's up to you but in hindsight I won't be sowing until second week in March this year, perhaps try saving some and sowing a new batch then to compare??

• Hmmm, Jonesk, I had actually planned to sew the next lot in weeks. But I will wait a bit longer now. And I will remove the heat. Thank you for the tip.image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Hi Gardenviking, I'm in the same boat as you, and I do it every year! I know deep down that it's too early, but the excitement overtakes my brain cells and off I go planting seeds in my heated propogator.

I have spent this afternoon planting my lanky seeds on. I try and plant them deeper than the roots so there is less stem. Sometimes i lose them but other times they are just fine.

Today I did this with didiscus, chilli, snap dragons and coriander....and then I planted more seeds! To be fair, some of them do say to sow in Feb. 

Good luck with yours.

• Yes, Tootles, I try to stick what it says on packages, in books and what it says to do in the 'What-to-do-now' section of this page. Hmmm, the climate here is particular with long winters...  I will wait with sewing on another three weeks now. image

• Thank you, Jonesk, that helped. I find it difficult to adjust to the harsh climate here, am making lots of mistakes and often don't know where I go wrong.

• Hmm, similar problem... I sowed some Tumbling Tom (tomatoes), not expecting them to germinate as the seeds were really old and looked it. Obviously they all have!

I don't have lights and only a plastic greenhouse, although I do have a heated propagator - is it worth persevering or should I just learn my lesson and try again in a few months?