London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
07/04/2013 at 19:19

I have Sown two batches of each now and no germination. They are in a cold greenhouse but everything else is doing fine. Is it still too sold for them out there???

Lyn
07/04/2013 at 19:28
I would think so Sam, i grew larkspur but started the seeds off in the summer, ready for the following year, try bringing them in and give em the window sill treatment.
07/04/2013 at 19:35

Oh great Lyn  Thankyou. That would explain why nothing has come up. I will give it another go and fetch them into the house. Thanks.x

07/04/2013 at 20:34

Larkspurs, I find them strange plants to grow from seed, just when you think nothing's happening up they come. I sowed mine off the plant last summer although they weren't big enough to plant out last year. They have survived in the frames and am now  nuturing them to go out this year

07/04/2013 at 20:47

Hmm, so you think if I leave the ones I have already sown alone they may pop up just as they sense I have given up on them?

Lyn
07/04/2013 at 22:05
I think you should bring them in Sam, as hollie says, she sowed them in the summer as well for the following years planting, if you leave them out there is a chance they may rot.
07/04/2013 at 22:07

Right. Thats the job for tomorrow then. Thanks guys 

Lyn
07/04/2013 at 22:09
I have set some seeds from my daughters aconitum but they are showing no sign at all, i wonder if they are fertile, or if i should have bought seeds.
I have the original plant now in my garden and its grown huge, even with the cold weather, she was worried with her littluns round it.
07/04/2013 at 22:13

Don't give up on the aconitum seeds yet Lyn. They're slow cold germinators

Lyn
07/04/2013 at 22:18
Should they be outside then for a while, the plant looks a big tuffie
07/04/2013 at 22:24

Mine are sown fresh in autumn, left outside most of the winter, brought into the cold greenhouse about end of January, more for my convenience than their need. Germinate about now, one or two coming through already but hope for more. Own fresh seed is always best. I never have failures with my own seed, often with bought seed. Makes you wonder how long some of it has been stored and what the storage conditions were.

07/04/2013 at 22:39

Nutcutlet you have put that beautifully. I was about to say that one year I nearly gave up on my aconitums but eventually they did germinate.

07/04/2013 at 22:44

I think I'm a seed addict like some are hellebore addicts. I sow things from my own seed that I've already got plenty of in the garden. And things that self sow very willingly. My cold  greenhouse is full of sown seeds, germinated seeds, pricked out seedlings. Outside it are all the things I grew from seed last year that never got planted. Plus the bulbs that never got planted and other bought and swapped plants. I just don't know when to stop.

07/04/2013 at 22:46

Im quite chuffed you said that about the bought seeds Nut, I was thinking it was maybe me doing something wrong. I have had success with ones given to me from friends but there have been some bought which have done nothing

07/04/2013 at 22:49

They cost a lot as well don't they? 

Lyn
08/04/2013 at 10:14

I have lots of seeds collected from plants that I didnt put on the seed swap in case they didnt grow, I have passed around some Lychnis and Stachys Byzantia? and the Lambs Lugs as Sam calls them as I have tried them and they are fine, I will wait for the aconitum, maybe give it a warning that usually works.

08/04/2013 at 10:39

I find a warning works well Lyn. I tell reluctant shrubs about saws and shredders and point the sad perennials at the compost heap

26/09/2014 at 14:53

I'm reviving this old thread because I have Aconitum seeds courtesy of Lyn and am deliberating over sowing them. I keep reading online about washing hands after touching them or even wearing gloves?? Are they really that toxic? Apparently the toxins can enter the body through the skin,is this true? The grandchildren don't come here cos they are scared of dogs. And the other risk factor is in fact the dogs. Having got foxglove and corn cockle already,am I overreacting? 

I'm so tempted to sow them because they are gorgeous to look at 

26/09/2014 at 15:04
Monkshood really is poison to dogs. And humans.

Do you mean to say your dogs are more important than your grandchildren visiting? Can you not shut the dogs in when they visit?
26/09/2014 at 16:19

On the contrary Welshonion - the grandchildren are very important to me but still won't visit when I say they are shut in,we go there instead. As they don't come here,the main concern is the dogs,unless of course me,my wife and 15 year old daughter decide to partake of aconitum salad. On the basis of what you've said there,its not worth the risk.

1 to 20 of 21 messages