Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Late planting your garlic?

I am very late in planting my garlic but learnt a tip this morning and would like to pass it on. You can plant the cloves in pots and put them into a greenhouse or coldframe. When the shoots appear plant them out at the first opportunity. I hope this is helpful.

S

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Last year I was very late and as they like a bit of a chill popped them in Fridge for a couple of weeks. Success, all be it a little small.

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

I always miss the boat with garlic so this is very useful to know. Thanks Sasha and Bjay. I do expect a cold snap so fridge may not be necessary.

• GirasoleGirasole Posts: 193

I just hope it helps. I have been kicking myself for weeks for not getting it in but somehow time runs away with itself so I was pleased to get this tip this morning image.

Rosa, when you say you put them in the fridge - how? Entire bulb or separated cloves? I'd like to know about that tip, too, as it is quite possible that I shall be in the same position next year image

S.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Just put them in - bulbs -about middle fridge, then planted out into veg bed. The resulting bubs were small but very strong!

Bjay