London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
6 messages
05/12/2013 at 14:40

The clematis is growing through a crab apple tree. In 2012 it was civered in blooms but 2013 very few. When is the correct time to move the plant to a damper and sunnier position?

05/12/2013 at 16:20

Clematis roots are very thick and felshy and go deep down.   It will be very difficult to move a mature plant without damaging the roots.

Half of my clematis struggled to flower well this year and I put it down to a long, cold, wet spring which made them late to get going followed by a baking hot summer.  I think yours will be fine next year if given a good thick mulch of well rotted manure or garden compost any time now when the ground is wet but not frozen and another next spring when growth starts and you prune out the old stems.  You can then also apply some slow release clematis feed and a liquid tonic of rose or tomato fertiliser.

If we have another hot dry spell, just give it a good drink - at least a gallon /5litres a time - a couple of times a week.

05/12/2013 at 19:58

I wound t move it.I have lost two because of moving. The only one that  did ,was Nellie moiser which I put in water for a couple of days and re-planted with plenty of watering but not in winter time.

05/12/2013 at 21:32

I agree, don't move it, but do make sure it gets plenty of water and mulch it well. 

You can also bring a couple of branches down to ground level and layer it to provide some cuttings to make more plants  for elsewhere 

05/12/2013 at 21:35

Make sure you anchor the branches down firmly onto the ground, I use a bit of wire, or the hook ends from broken coat hangers.

06/12/2013 at 11:38

Thanks for advice.Sun is shining so going out to mulch the clematis and clean up the leaves - again

email image
6 messages