London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
6 messages
04/10/2012 at 13:42
I planted a new laurel hedge at the front of my house, which can r a bit windy in march this year. The plants I used were cuttings that we're taken about three years ago and are abt 2 foot high and spaced 2 feet apart. Problem is some of the leaves are turning yellow and I would like to give the hedge a boost toake it grow quicker and bushier. Anyone any suggestions?
04/10/2012 at 15:12

Yellowing is a sign of stress and on Laurel is is normally either mineral deficiency or over or under watering or a mix (over watering causes minerals to wash away). I would add a good feed around the plant - use liquid and pellet versions. If it is getting water logged then you need to fork around the area to imporve drainage.

07/10/2012 at 20:46

Hello John - I agree with blairs regarding mineral deficiency - possibly magnesium needed (your local garden centre can advise you) . Also check your soil type is not too chalky as the laurel will not thrive. To make it bushier, prune the leading shoots by about one third- cut them cleanly just above a leaf joint.

08/10/2012 at 08:00
Thanks guys. What sort of feed would you recommend. I am totally baffled by the choices!
08/10/2012 at 15:49

There are so many commercial preparations available that my advise to you would be to go to a good garden centre where you will find products - usually containing magnesium or manganese sulphate - which will say ' for yellowing of the leaves'.They will have instructions on how to use. Also, if you take one of the leaves with you a member of staff should be able to help you further. Do bear in mind though, that you may have to keep the treatment up continually throughout the lifetime of the plant and you may wish to consider an alternative - I landed up getting rid of several large laurels because they were never going to look good and were continually loosing the older leaves that they just looked unsightly. Good luck!

01/06/2014 at 23:18

I too have planted new laurels, I removed some previous yellowing plants and replaced them, but it's still happening  It is a hedge I have and only part of it has gone yellow, we put in bonemeal and soil improver before planting, magnesium???

email image
6 messages