London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
21 to 27 of 27 messages
26/08/2013 at 21:00

Hello Kazz, please see your other thread.

18/09/2013 at 19:39

I need to seriously retard the growth of my laurel hedge. I notice that ithas quite a bit of fruit on it. I know they are poisonous, but if some wildlife can make use of them I'm willing to delay the pruning. Are there any birds that use them in winter?

09/11/2013 at 00:17

Birds do like the berries. We regularly have Black birds nesting in our laurel hedge.

According to http://laurelhedging.net/ 

"Hard pruning is best done in March due to the surge of growth in late April and May. This means new growth will follow very quickly."

09/11/2013 at 07:07

March is not a good time to prune if the hedge is a regular nesting site for birds!  The end of January at the very latest. 

10/03/2014 at 12:31

hi, ive inherited a HUGE laurel at the end of my garden, its massive. ijust about managed to keep it in shape last summer but i swear its just got bigger anyway! im thinkig of getting rid of it but then id be over looked. it is creating alot of shade for my already small garden and i dont thing im going to be able to maintain it properly this year due to busy lifestyle. could i cut it down to a stump and start again from scratch   any ideas ??

11/03/2014 at 16:52

I have a bay laurel planted as a small plant. It has been hardy and thriving for many years and is at least twenty ft. high. Being in the mid-Atlantic (MD), it has survived all kinds of weather. Early in the fall and into the winter this year all of the leaves have turned brown...

Does it have life left, or should it be cut to the ground?

TIA for any advise!

11/03/2014 at 17:08

Is bay laurel the one you cook with, Laurus nobilis, or the one you definitely don't, Prunus laurocerasus?

email image
21 to 27 of 27 messages