London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
21 to 40 of 48 messages
15/08/2012 at 10:59

My children have called me Miss Marple ever since they were small - and not just because of the knitting  (that dates me )

15/08/2012 at 11:01

aahhh.. knitting.. not made myself a jumper or cardi in years.. takes me back.. i can thandle the needles now as i have rumathoid arthritus (cant spell it) so have prolbem moving fingers.. hence why my words are bad at times..

15/08/2012 at 12:07

gf-there is a spell checker facility on here if you click on ABC on the message bar-that could help you?-hope that doesn't sound condescending

15/08/2012 at 19:44

@geoff..  not it doest sound at all.. fingers just seize up and i cant even manage to click on the misspelled words.... anyway back  to my lawn..

green thumb man came today.. his verdict.. it is just dry underwatered grass. and is suffreing short cut mowing burn.. he tested for disease..found none.. said it is still healthy just suffering from teh very hot weather (yesterday 25c) then heavy rain today.. must admit not had much rain in the last month.. so very dried out.. i know this becuase the soil when weeding is like concrete.. so  no treatment needed.. they will scarify it and airate it oct..

so dunno whether to be happy or just fobbed off..

15/08/2012 at 19:52

If that is the case then it should green up once it rains-odd that when they did the treatment they didn't mention about the mowing-usually the feed makes the grass grow stronger and able to withstand drought

Time will tell -providing it doesn't get any worse

15/08/2012 at 19:56

yes fingers crossed (if i could) geoff... thanks for all  your help.. said it is the mix of very hot and very wet that has caused it.. has had 43 cases in last week of people thinking the same as me.. we hve had very hot weather for last couple of weeks here..

15/08/2012 at 19:58

And his explanation for the track around the curved bed was ....?

The symptoms of 'mowing burn' and a chemical scorch would be very similar - but mowing burn would usually follow the path of the mower - this does not seem the case from your photographs - so I really don't think your hub should take the blame.

15/08/2012 at 20:00

You know -that doesn't sound right somehow-you are across the water from me yet my grass is lush and green has had no feed this year and needs cutting twice a week.

For them to say they have had 43 cases sound iffy-they cant say wet and hot caused that damage-I would not be happy at all with that explanation

15/08/2012 at 20:03

@dovefromabove.. taht is what hubby said.. "not m fault" man told me it is just that.. but if it gets no better in teh next few weeks to call them back.. thou some of their fertilizer is still undissolved on the lawn.. he said it is slow release.. i just stopped myself from LOL to that.. anyway i will be keeping close eye on it and see.. told hubby to cut grass longer while weather is so unpredictable..

so we will see.. they come again in september.. so they can look at it then...

15/08/2012 at 20:05

@geoff.. yeah neighbours lawn.. that has no care looks blerdy better than mine.. i will see and if i am not happy i will get them to sort it out.. told me to water it regularly.. as it not getting much.. which is true..

15/08/2012 at 20:45

How much do these firms charge to take care of your lawns - when you still have to mow and water them yourselves?  

And 'not getting much' - if it's anything like mine it had nothing else for the last 6 months -  it's only been since the Olympics started that we've had any dry weather at all, (and I know 'cos my daughter got married in the middle of the Olympics and we were praying for a dry spell for weeks). Anyway a well established lawn should have enough root not to look parched after a couple of weeks of dry-ish weather.  

I really wouldn't be happy with that explanation at all. 

My lawn was overgrown and unkempt and full of weeds when we moved in a year ago - all we've done is mow once a week and I've hand-raked the thatch out and spiked the most compacted area with a fork - it's not been fertilised and it's not been watered and we've had scorching weather this week and it looks quite lush and green.

15/08/2012 at 20:51

It sounds as though we are ganging up but I am with Dove on this -gardeningfantic lives on the IOW- I live in Southampton-even allowing for slight occasional differences we have had loads of rain and no drought restictions

The trouble is where does gf go from here?

15/08/2012 at 21:14

I live in the East of England - the driest part of the country (even this year) and we've had drought restrictions all summer until very recently, and my scrubby old lawn is lush.

I think these lawncare companies win both ways - you pay them to do not very much, you do the rest, taking a great deal of care because it's your lawn, and then if something goes wrong it can't be their fault because they're professionals and you're not.

Our elderly neighbour has a local chap come and mow his lawn once a week, trim the edges as needed and cut the hedge a couple of times a year and his lawn always looks lovely - I bet I know who gets the best value for money.

15/08/2012 at 21:19

Is there such a thing as a slow release lawn fertilizer that doesn't dissolve-and then scorches the lawn because it hasn't dissolved because it hasn't rained?

And there are 43 other cases they admit to?-what about those who haven't twigged the problem?

15/08/2012 at 21:50

Absolutely Geoff, absolutely!!!

18/08/2012 at 08:49

yeah guys i know this.. but we have had hardly any rain here..  my water butts were near on empty for the 3rd time this year before the heavy downpour we had monday night. (which is the first proper rain we have had since before olympics )and we have 5 large ones.. ant that filled them.. i am told the shape of the island splits the clouds and the solent and above gets most of it,..i sit looking out over the channel and the rain misses us all the time.. we hardly get frosts.. while my mum on the solent side does.. she has had more rain than us on this side.. for instance wednesday over mums torrential rain for 3 hours in the morning.. i had left my washing out.. i got back home at 2pm and it was bone dry neighbour said we had no rain here.. and it is always like that.

they charge me £15 for the weed and feed..lawn is 50ft x 65ft so big.. and i never water it.. i just mow it and trim edges.. nothing else.. they tell me to water it 3 tims a week but we are on metres over here so cant afford it.

i will be speaking to the boss man next week regarding other peoples lawns and see if it is the fertilizer doing it.. as the little balls that fall on the borders have yet to dissolve.. so thats shows how dry it has been.. the ground is as hard as conrete.. cant dig it with a trowel to get autumn plants in at all..

my lawn was just weeds when took over.. now or it was lush and green and gorgeous.. next doors is lush but not green but a pale yellow green colour.. i have been having company for 2 years now and this is first time the lawn has looked as bad as it did when i started the garden..

i know your not ganging up on me.. and i hope to get answers from the boss when i speak to him on wednesday.. i have taken picutures of the ball so show not disolved etc.. for evidence.. thou guy sid they do not use any chemicals that can damage or scorch lawns.. so we will see.

23/08/2012 at 12:42

well... i saw the boss... told him my concerns and and thoughts and how it happened to my lawn.. asked htem about other clients who complained the same too.. and after a rather heated discussion.. they have given me the rest of this years treatments free of charge and 50% off next year.. and will replace any lawn that does not grow back properly..

what a result.. thou they are still not omitting responsibility for the damage but are giving me this as a sign of good will..  that kinda of response is actually omitting it to me.. but i am happy with that result..just wish i could find out all the others and ge them to go for it..

23/08/2012 at 13:06
Not read all the posts but every year I use lawn grub killer. It controls chafer and other grubs in lawns and does it very well. My lawn developed yellow/brown stains that eventually died off and this is the time of year when damage is first caused. It may not be "green" but my lawn is important to me so no judgements on this from those who disagree with killing bugs on lawns. I use a cheap lawn feed every spring, water it in well immediately unless rain is due, and it says fine for the year
23/08/2012 at 13:41

gardeningfantic-Good news at last

23/08/2012 at 15:40

@christopher2..what sort of grub killer do ya use.. i am keen to get some..

@sotogeoff.. yes it is i left with a  

21 to 40 of 48 messages