London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 16°C
6 messages
07/04/2014 at 11:31
Hi all, I have a lawn which is covered in moss. I am going to give it a good scarify but am also looking to improve its condition going forward. What product would you recommend for this? There are plenty out there! I don't mind having to repeat the application on a weekly basis if required. It just needs to kill all weeds, the moss and feed the lawn! Thanks in advance!
07/04/2014 at 14:33

I always use Evergreen and it seems to do the job. I only use it in spring, and rarely more than once. I never bother with an autumn feed. I think most of the products readily available will do a good job - it probably comes down to your pocket!  

If your grass is very mossy, perhaps it's too shady or very compacted - or a combination of both. You may always struggle to get a good 'sward' if that's the case Budsgarden. Might be worth doing a bit of re seeding as well, and remember not to cut too short when you mow - that just gives the moss a chance to muscle in. 

07/04/2014 at 14:55
Hi fairygirl.

Thanks for the response. It was shaded due to a large tree but that blew down in the storms so is quite open now!

So, would I need to mow the lawn, then scarify, then weed & feed and finally re-seed? I'm guessing the garden will need good soak before scarifying?

Thanks in advance?
18/07/2014 at 16:16

Look up weed and feed on the internet - you might be shocked how dangerous it is to pets and wildlife.  There is no warning on the packet, except saying don't let children or pets walk on it.  It's a poison, not just for plants.

19/07/2014 at 22:46

Have a look on http://www.lawnsmith.co.uk/enthusiast/ or http://www.progreen.co.uk/index.php 

To my knowledge it was always best to use individual treatments depending on what the lawn requires.

19/07/2014 at 23:10
If I may. I have no idea what your location is. In short. This tiny island of ours is gettin a belting of very hot weather. To keep it short and sweet. Until temperatures calm down. Forget feeding of any kind. In fact. Forget the moss etc. The heat and sunshine will help you in this respect. Please always remember. Despite the fact that the supermarkets and garden centers are loaded with 'medicines' Please. Never attempt to treat a sick plant, lawn, shrub, or tree with 'off the shelf' remedies. Not wishing to delve into the scientific realms. To be as simple as I can. So your plant, lawn or whatever. This is your tiny baby. Suddenly babe is sick. Poor colour, to your thinking, on the brink of death. In fact. Most human , 'baby' disorders relate to digestion. The main remedy is. Keep the patient hydrated. Natures ale. Such treatment will keep the body tissues alive and kicking and in a simple way of explanation. The veins, rivers and streams will remain open. Result. The whole plant/subject remains fed. During this lapse of time. The subject continues to 'tick over' The when supporting conditions vere toward the norm. A keen eye will espy the rich t time. Then take your pick at the many offerrings. For goodness sake. Read the instructions. Misuse of many products can actually do more harm than good. Oxidisation can be a problem. Burning, bleaching etc. Although there are so many feeds and helpers. Be warned.
email image
6 messages