Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

lawn help

Looking for some advice with my supposed lawn. Turf was laid last year and it seemed to be doing well.  There was a couple of patches which i attempted  to reseed. It has now turned to a mud patch with tufts. Ive tried to lay more seeds as ive read they can germinate as low as 6 degrees. But not  happening. There are patches  that  puddles form on  also. Any suggestions on remedies  to get it looking in a better state? imageimage

• Hi thank you for reply. Is there no way of revitalising? And what kind of prep would i need to do for drainage etc at the time of laying turf  i did everything  supposed to. Leveling it etc. The dogs arent too much of an issue as they  have a specified area they use for toilet. 

• Unfortunately  mine is clay. Beautiful  garden you have there.

• JasiaJasia Posts: 2

I wish mine looked like that something has been digging up my lawn does anyone know what is doing this?imageimage

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Probably crows or magpies  Jasia - looking for leather jackets or other grubs. They're the ususal offenders I'm afraid.

They certainly do that to my grass at this time of year, but it recovers in spring, especially once I get going with the weed and feed image

Last edited: 23 January 2017 12:42:58

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,140

Blackbirds searching for grubs beneath the moss?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

The above comments are correct that patch has gone for good. Lawns ( well my lawns) have a good drainage layer followed by a good depth of soil then the turf. You could cover it now until spring, old carpet, black plastic, anything excluding light then in spring dig it over add plenty of good soil then rake flat. Once you have done the gardeners shuffle all over to pack it a little lay a good general purpose grass in rolls. Once it is down water it daily for a couple of weeks but keep off it, it takes a while to settle in and root. First cuts should be with blades up, it is a plant the leaves feed the plant so I never go lower than one inch, it will be an even cut so look good and if fussy about stripes a little longer is better.

Frank.

• JasiaJasia Posts: 2

Thank you everyone I live next to a river and there are plenty of magpies and other birds. First time this has happened in the 20+ years I have lived here. I hope I have some lawn left to save in the spring.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

It'll be fine - you can tidy it up with a bit of extra soil/compost in spring, and sow some seed. image

Of course - you might need to net that to stop them eating the seed instead image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

Filmbuffy. Is that plastic sheeting that is lying on the lawn? If it's been lying there for a while the grass will have died underneath it. It will then get blown to another bit and the grass will die again etc. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller