London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 13°C
3 messages
31/03/2012 at 13:58

How can one remove a lawn bee infestation?

31/03/2012 at 15:22

HI Mike, I read in March edition of Gardeners World that these bees are called Tawny mining bees and they build their nests in sunny lawns and borders from March to May. They say that these bees are harmless and do not sting. Gardeners World says they are at risk as gardeners often mistake the mounds for ants nest. I don't know how many you have in your lawn but if you can, try and leave them where they are, bees need all the help they can get. Good luck

01/04/2012 at 16:37

Hi Mike

I agree - leave them alone if you can the more bees we have the better!

Lucky you that they have come to you free of charge!!!  I've just brought some mason bee larvae and some nests to try and encourage them into my garden. They do have a sting but it's like a pin prick and does not come to anything.  I was told they are safe for children and pets.  Also they do no damage to your garden except make a few holes.  About this time the larvae will be hatching into bees, and then they will go and look for new homes and again lay larvae which will hatch this time next year.  They are solitary bees and live only for about 4 months, so they will be dying off around August/Sept time.

email image
3 messages