Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lawn problems

We have several bare patches on our lawn caused by my daughter's dog's urine!  It takes ages for the poor lawn to get back to its former glory, only for the same thing to happen next time they visit.

Is there anything we can buy to weaken the urine or what could we do? We put down some new turf, and even this now has a bare patch.

• ginagibbsginagibbs Posts: 756

Hi Snowy, I read somewhere that if you feed a small amount of tomato paste to the dogs feed daily, it does something to their pee that stop it causing the patches. Its only bitches that cause the stain, boy dogs, I belive are okimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

As soon as the dog has performed sLuce the area with a bucket ot two of water. It will dilute the effects.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• snowy43snowy43 Posts: 118

She's always in and out of the garden, so I'll have to follow her with some water!image 

Tomato paste idea sounds interesting - yes it is bitches that cause the trouble.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

There is a product called Dog Rocks, I think you add it to their water

• Hi snowy. 

Just to clear something up. both male and female urine scorch lawn. i have both and they both squat on the lawns. i use dog rocks as a long term solution. unfortunately there isnt anything you can give that will work instantly apart from soaking the area with water the instant the dog does its business. you could ask your daughter to give there dog some tomato ketchup for a week or two before visiting then you wont get the scorching. or just buy them some dog rocks to use as a permanent thing.  

• Lewis is quite correct. Dog urine is equally as potent as a bitches. As dogs tend to cock their legs and spray a bit here and there the damage isn't, usually, as bad as a when a bitch empties her bladder all in one go. The only really effective way to avoid damage to the lawn is to not let the dog relieve itself on there. The next best is to heavily dilute the urine straight after the act,so to speak. There may, or may not, be something in the tomato thing but I've heard mixed reviews about the dog rocks. It seems that, if they are effective at all, they work best on smaller dogs.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

I used to have a 'bowling green' lawn that  was the envy of neighbours - then I got a dog...

I'm afraid it's one or the other. The only chance you have is to provide your dog with a toilet area and train your dog to use it.

Otherwise as said above, you'll have to rush out with a watering can every time and dilute it.

I've heard that giving your dog tomato juice helps, but I've not tried as it doesn't seem right to be feeding my dog tomato juice.

Amber loves to fly down the garden at night and uses her back legs as soil-brakes, so not only do I have brown patches, I' also have skid patch at then end!

I have scarified my lawn a couple of weeks ago and used a repair kit on the patches which will help, but there's no answer other than a toilet area

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I'm sorry if this sounds simplistic. It's not the OP's dog - it's the daughter's - so why does she  have to  bring the dog when she visits? image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...