London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
5 messages
24/10/2013 at 15:47

Hello all, hope I can gain the benefit of your collective wisdom.

I am soon to move into a new house which has a swimming pool!  However, the entire area around is paved which I understand has been down for the past 10 years.  These are my questions:

1. I intend to remove most of the paving and its hardcore and to replace with turf.  Do I need to let the bare soil lie fallow for a while as its not been exposed to the air for so long?  If so, how long?

2. Do I need to treat the soil in any way to give it a good start for the turf?

3. What type of turf would be suitable?  I need something that is hardwearing to withstand the pounding of children's feet, something that is slow growing as cutting it frequently will put trimmings into the pool and make a regular mess, something that is thick and lush for appearance, something that will be hardy enough to withstand the chlorine based chemicals used in pools.  I've heard Fescue Replacement Turf by Lindum Turfgrass may be suitable.

Look forward to your advice! 

24/10/2013 at 15:50

I think artificial grass would meet all those criteria

24/10/2013 at 16:52

Chlorine will kill grass stone dead!  I'd leave the surrounding paving to give you a barrier between the lawn and the pool. This will give the chlorine time to drop off the kids and you can still have a good lawn.

24/10/2013 at 16:56

Non slip paving round a pool is best. Grass which is slippery when wet is an absolute no no.

25/10/2013 at 13:03

Fidgetbones is correct. Grass along side a pool could to very dangerous as the grass obviously will be wet and serious injury can occur due to slipping and hitting your head on the side of the pool, etc.

Take the word of a retired Medic, I have seen all these silly ideas before! Go for the artificial grass.

email image
5 messages